Lindenmayer systems (or L-Systems) are a way of modelling plants and other biological organisms using mathematics and simple language tools. Lindenmayer Systems Artificial Life Computers.
- Wikipedia: An L-system or Lindenmayer system is a parallel rewriting system and a type of formal grammar. An L-system consists of an alphabet of symbols that can be used to make strings, a collection of production rules that expand each symbol into some larger string of symbols, an initial "axiom" string from which to begin construction, and a mechanism for translating the generated strings into geometric structures. L-systems were introduced and developed in 1968 by Aristid Lindenmayer, a Hungarian theoretical biologist and botanist at the University of Utrecht. Lindenmayer used L-systems to describe the behaviour of plant cells and to model the growth processes of plant development. L-systems have also been used to model the morphology of a variety of organisms and can be used to generate self-similar fractals such as iterated function systems.
- Digital morphogenesis - Digital morphogenesis is a type of generative art in which complex shape development, or morphogenesis, enabled by computation. This concept is applicable in many areas of design, art, architecture, and modeling.
- Fractal - In mathematics a fractal is an abstract object used to describe and simulate naturally occurring objects. Artificially created fractals commonly exhibit similar patterns at increasingly small scales. It is also known as expanding symmetry or evolving symmetry.
- Iterated function system - In mathematics, iterated function systems are a method of constructing fractals; the resulting fractals are often self-similar. IFS fractals are more related to set theory than fractal geometry. They were introduced in 1981.
- Hilbert curve - A Hilbert curve is a continuous fractal space-filling curve first described by the German mathematician David Hilbert in 1891, as a variant of the space-filling Peano curves discovered by Giuseppe Peano in 1890.
- Stochastic context-free grammar - Grammar theory to model symbol strings originated from work in computational linguistics aiming to understand the structure of natural languages.
- SpeedTree - SpeedTree is a group of vegetation programming and modeling software products developed and sold by Interactive Data Visualization, Inc. that generates virtual foliage for animations, architecture and in real time for video games and demanding real time simulations.
- Hungarian inventions
- Computer graphics algorithms
- Formal languages
- Architectural Lindenmayer Systems in Architecture www
Architectural applications of L-systems. Systems in Architecture. Includes background and methods. Lindenmayer Systems in Architecture.
- A LGrammar www
A graphics tool for Lindenmayer systems in C and Java. LGrammar.
- Windows Laurens Lapre's Lparser www
Windows software and some information on LSystems and related ideas. Laurens Lapre's Lparser.
- A Wikipedia L-systems www
A well rounded introduction to L-Systems. Wikipedia L-systems.
- A Recursive Productions and Grammars www
A guide to the rules of strict grammars including L-Systems. Recursive Productions and Grammars.
- A L-Systems Explorer www
A Windows-based L-System program. L-Systems Explorer.
- A Christian Jacob www
A collection of papers related to using Mathematica to generate L-Systems. Christian Jacob.
- The Algorithmic Botany www
The definitive resource for L-Systems, Botany, this University of Calgary site is maintained by Lindenmayers collaborators. It contains many articles, and a full-length copy of 'The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants'. Algorithmic Botany.
- A lsystem www
A simple implementation of Lindenmayer systems written in Python. lsystem.
- A L-Systems Tutorial www
A mathematical introduction to how L-Systems work. L-Systems Tutorial.
- A L-systems www
A guide to the theory behind L-Systems. L-systems.
- Introduction Fractal Geometry: L-Systems www
Introduction to L-systems by Michael Frame at Yale University. Geometry: L-Systems. Includes background information. Fractal Geometry: L-Systems.
- Subject Lindenmayer System www
Subject entry from Wolfram MathWorld. System. Includes references and downloadable Mathematica notebook. Lindenmayer System.
- A An Introduction to Lindenmayer Systems www
A basic introduction to L-Systems with some colorful examples. An Introduction to Lindenmayer Systems.
- Generative GDesign 1.0 www
Generative art tools that create complex 2D and 3D objects breeding LSystems, 1.0, Cellular Automata, and Shape Grammars. Freeware by Umberto Roncoroni. GDesign 1.0.
- A glAnts www
A sourceforge project for a combination game and simulation that allows interaction with simple artificial ants. glAnts.
- An International Society for Adaptive Behavior www
An international scientific society devoted to education and furthering research on adaptive behavior in animals, Society for Adaptive Behavior, animats, software agents, and robots. International Society for Adaptive Behavior.
- Alexa: Lindenmayer Systems Artificial Life
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Lindenmayer Systems Artificial Life
- DMOZ: Lindenmayer Systems Artificial Life
dmoz.org Directory: Lindenmayer Systems Artificial Life