Bulletin Board Systems (BBS) have been around since the early 1980s in one form or another. Typically a 'gathering area' for people with similar interests, they have adapted, grown, and survived as times changed. BBS systems, while not as popular as they once were, have begun seeing a new dawning in recent times. They usually have a large variety of Spam free topical message areas. Online Gaming. Most have new and daily updated shareware files. Most have moved to the Internet and offer web based interaction. No need to utilize the old ANSI login style. Although Ansi logins are still widely available. With over 15,000 traditional BBS's remaining in the United States alone they are a pleasant alternative to the normal web based browsing. Bulletin Board Systems Computers.
A bulletin board system, or BBS, is a computer server running custom software that allows users to connect to the system using a terminal program. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: A bulletin board system or BBS is a computer server running software that allows users to connect to the system using a terminal program. Once logged in, the user can perform functions such as uploading and downloading software and data, reading news and bulletins, and exchanging messages with other users through email, public message boards, and sometimes via direct chatting. Many BBSes also offer on-line games in which users can compete with each other, and BBSes with multiple phone lines often provide chat rooms, allowing users to interact with each other. Bulletin board systems were in many ways a precursor to the modern form of the World Wide Web, social networks, and other aspects of the Internet. Low-cost, high-performance modems drove the use of online services and BBSes through the early 1990s.
- ANSI art - ANSI art is a computer art form that was widely used at one time on BBSes. It is similar to ASCII art, but constructed from a larger set of 256 letters, numbers, and symbols ? all codes found in IBM code page 437, often referred to as extended ASCII and used in MS-DOS and Unix environments.
- BBS: The Documentary - BBS: The Documentary is a 3-disc, 8-episode documentary about the subculture born from the creation of the bulletin board system filmed by computer historian Jason Scott of textfiles.com.
- Shell account - A shell account is a user account on a remote server, traditionally running under the Unix operating system, which gives access to a shell via a command-line interface protocol such as telnet or SSH.
- Imageboard - An imageboard or image board is a type of Internet forum which operates mostly via posting images. The first imageboards were created in Japan, and inspired the creation of a number of English language imageboards. They are based on the textboard concept.
- Internet forum - An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived.
- Internet Relay Chat - Internet Relay Chat is an application layer protocol that facilitates communication in the form of text. The chat process works on a client/server networking model. IRC clients are computer programs that a user can install on their system.
- Computer-mediated communication
- Pre?World Wide Web online services
- Bulletin board systems
- Online chat
- Internet forums
- Banner BBS Xchange www
Banner exchange for BBS-related sites. BBS Xchange.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia.org: BBS Systems www
Encyclopedia article that gives an overview of these systems, BBS Systems, their history and a brief presentation of their content, along with links to more specialized articles. Wikipedia.org: BBS Systems.
- Presents BBSing.com www
Presents the history of these systems and a global explanation of the way they work. BBSing.com. Includes a large collection of links. BBSing.com.
- Information BBS: A Documentary www
Information about the film released in 2005. Documentary. Includes details of research, a list of interviews, trailers, reviews, and an online ordering facility. BBS: A Documentary.
- Provides BBS Promotions www
Provides a resource describing the what, Promotions, when, where, who, why and how of BBSing. BBS Promotions.
- The Official Intelec Home Page www
The official Intelec Network Home Page. Intelec Home Page. Intelec is an international BBS echomail network. Official Intelec Home Page.
- Presents Wikipedia : FidoNet www
Presents the history of the network and provides information about its organizational, FidoNet, technical and geographical structure. Wikipedia : FidoNet.
- The Fidonet over IP www
The Fido-over-IP project (FIP) by Lothar Behet, over IP, 2:2446/301 aka 2:2/3000 Fidonet over IP.
- Hosts Naibat.com: Hotline File Sharing www
Hosts a tracker, Hotline File Sharing, several user guides in PDF format, old client and server software for historical purposes and a collection of useful links. Naibat.com: Hotline File Sharing.
- Official Hotline Protocol www
Official listing for versions of the Hotline protocol released under the GNU Public License by Hotsprings, Protocol, Inc. through the OpenSprings project. Hotline Protocol.
- A Roughneck BBS www
A modern bulletin board system that has many modern and classic features such as file repositories, BBS, message boards and chat rooms; online since February 2002. Roughneck BBS.
- Telnet Doc's Place BBS Online www
Telnet and web based BBS with full fidonet coverage. Doc's Place BBS Online.
- Discussion Frappy Doo www
Discussion forums covering sports, Doo, entertainment, relationships, computers, and money matters. Frappy Doo.
- Diverse The Mantel - A Virtual Water Cooler www
Diverse selection of topics including relationships, Mantel - A Virtual Water Cooler, gardening, philosophy, fitness and technical issues. The Mantel - A Virtual Water Cooler.
- Features Everything In Moderation www
Features links to articles on management strategies. Everything In Moderation.
- Purpose NewHeavenNewEarth www
Purpose is to build a global network to pool talents, NewHeavenNewEarth, experience, and resources to unravel life's mysteries. Includes a blog, community, and special reports. NewHeavenNewEarth.
- Offers Gameport - BBS Software www
Offers WorldGroup, BBS Software, software for internet-based BBS's and shareware door games. Gameport - BBS Software.
- Supports BBBS www
Supports the Internet and Fidonet while embedding Fidonet messages and Internet news and email together with a versatile web-based, BBBS, online and offline message reading system. BBBS.
- Alexa: Bulletin Board Systems Computers
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Bulletin Board Systems Computers
- DMOZ: Bulletin Board Systems Computers
dmoz.org Directory: Bulletin Board Systems Computers