An X-Face is a small bitmap (48 × 48 pixels, black and white) image which is added to a Usenet posting or e-mail message, typically showing a picture of the author's face. The image data is included in the posting as encoded text, and attached with an 'X-Face' header. X-Face 2D Graphics Data Formats Computers.
An X-Face is a small bitmap (48 × 48 pixels, black and white) image which is added to a Usenet posting or e-mail message, typically showing a picture of the author's face. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An X-Face is a small bitmap image which is added to a Usenet posting or e-mail message, typically showing a picture of the author's face. The image data is included in the posting as encoded text, and attached with an 'X-Face' header. It was devised by James Ashton.
- iChat has a similar though not compatible feature called picture icons.
- XBM is a general monochrome image format supported by xbm2xface.pl
- FFmpeg and Netpbm tools can create X-Face images.
- Amongst Mozdev.org: Mnenhy www
Amongst several enhancements to SeaMonkey Mail/News and Mozilla Thunderbird, Mnenhy, brings the possibility of displaying X-Face headers. Mozdev.org: Mnenhy.
- Offers XFace for RISC OS www
Offers a little utility that handles X-Face images on RISC OS systems. XFace for RISC OS.
- Personal Ashton, James www
Personal page of the creator of this format, James, includes some of his remarks on these images. Ashton, James.
- Converts Dairiki.org: Online X-Face Converter www
Converts various image formats to the X-Face format suitable for inclusion in e-mail or Usenet article headers. Dairiki.org: Online X-Face Converter.
- A The Face Header www
A proposed improvement to the X-Face header. Face Header. The Face header is a PNG image whereas X-Faces are one-bit images. The Face Header.
- Brief Wikipedia: X-Face www
Brief description of this header, X-Face, its history and a list of compatible software. Wikipedia: X-Face.
- Includes Mythic-beasts.com: X-Face www
Includes a brief explanation of the X-Face format and an online Jpeg to X-Face converter along with its source code. Mythic-beasts.com: X-Face.
- A A Bunch of X-Faces www
A collection of X-Face images and their corresponding text. A Bunch of X-Faces.
- In-line Postini www
In-line infrastructure for pre-processing email messages in real time. Postini. Allows email management applications to be integrated into any SMTP email system. Postini.
- Online MailTester.com www
Online tool to test an e-mail address. MailTester.com. Find out if is valid, why it bounces or what type of mailserver the mailbox is on. MailTester.com.
- Explanation About News-Posting, by J R Stockton www
Explanation of Usenet terms and tips on how to write and post to Usenet. About News-Posting, by J R Stockton.
- Homepage yEnc - Encoding for Usenet and E-mail www
Homepage of the public domain encoding format widely used in binary newsgroups. Encoding for Usenet and E-mail. A stand alone yEnc decoder is also available for download with its source code. yEnc - Encoding for Usenet and E-mail.
- Specifications The Graphics File Formats Page www
Specifications to various graphics formats, Graphics File Formats Page, including GIF, JPG, DWG, PCX and several others. The Graphics File Formats Page.
- An JPG vs GIF www
An article on the differences between the file formats. JPG vs GIF.
- Alexa: X-Face 2D
Alexa Directory Top Sites: X-Face 2D
- DMOZ: X-Face 2D
dmoz.org Directory: X-Face 2D