Emulation is the process of simulating the hardware of one computer (particularly the processor) via software on a different one. In other words, it allows you to use software meant for another system that you may not have access to by running a program on your system. For instance, an emulator will let you use an arcade machine that no longer exist or use a game console that can no longer be purchased. Note that this section is different from Games: Video Games: Emulation because the focus here is on the emulation of personal computer systems and Operating Systems running on these. Emulators Computers.
In computing, an emulator is hardware or software that enables one computer system (called the host ) to behave like another computer system (called the guest ). (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: In computing, an emulator is hardware or software that enables one computer system to behave like another computer system. An emulator typically enables the host system to run software or use peripheral devices designed for the guest system.
- Computer simulation is the larger field of modeling real-world phenomenon (e.g. physics and economy) using computers.
- Console emulator - A video game console emulator is a type of emulator that allows a computing device to emulate a video game console's hardware and play its games on the emulating platform.
- Instruction set simulator - An instruction set simulator is a simulation model, usually coded in a high-level programming language, which mimics the behavior of a mainframe or microprocessor by "reading" instructions and maintaining internal variables which represent the processor's registers.
- Network emulation - Network emulation is a technique for testing the performance of real applications over a virtual network. This is different from network simulation where purely mathematical models of traffic, network models, channels and protocols are applied.
- Server emulator - A server emulator, also called Freeshard or Privat server, is the reimplementation of online game servers, typically as clones of proprietary commercial software by a third party of the game community.
- Terminal emulator - A terminal emulator, terminal application, or term, is a program that emulates a video terminal within some other display architecture. Though typically synonymous with a shell or text terminal, the term terminal covers all remote terminals, including graphical interfaces.
- Emulation software
- Computer hardware
- An Emu28 www
An open source HP18C/28C emulator for Windows. Emu28.
- A Japanese Computer Emulation Centre www
A site dedicated to the emulation of Japanese Machines including X68000, Computer Emulation Centre, PC6001, PC88, PC98, MSX 1/2/R, Sharp MZ, Sharp X1, Fujitsu FM7, and Fujitsu FM Towns. Japanese Computer Emulation Centre.
- An KCemu www
An open source emulator of the KC85 homecomputer series for Linux and Windows. KCemu.
- Open VAM www
Open source Alpha Microsystems AM-100 emulator for Linux, VAM, Mac OS, and Windows. VAM.
- A st20emu www
A freeware ST20 emulator for DOS. st20emu.
- Great Emuviews www
Great emulation page maintained by JoseQ, Emuviews, maker of the famous Rumor Mill, many downloads, great layout - some hosted sites. Emuviews.
- A FunnyMu www
A freeware Creativision, FunnyMu, Funvision, and Whizzard emulator for Linux/SDL. FunnyMu.
- An vmips www
An open source MIPS R3000 emulator for Unix. vmips.
- An UKNCBTL www
An open source UKNC (MS 0511) emulator for Linux, UKNCBTL, Mac OS, and Windows. UKNCBTL.
- An SIMH www
An open source collection of emulators for Windows of historical computers, SIMH, including GRI-909, HP 2116/2100/21MX, IBM 1401/1620/1130/System 3, PDP-1/4/7-11/15/VAX. Also provides software kits, system photographs, and technical papers. SIMH.
- Open uBee512 www
Open source Premium Microbee 512Kb FDD emulator for Linux and Windows. uBee512.
- Open QDAE www
Open source Apricot emulator for Linux and Windows. QDAE.
- Open Free42 www
Open source HP-42S emulator for Android, Free42, Linux/i386, Mac OS, PalmOS, Pocket PC, Windows, and Zaurus X/Qt. Free42.
- An PearPC www
An open source PowerPC emulator for Unix and Windows. PearPC.
- An Solace www
An open source Sol-20 emulator for Windows. Solace.
- Covers Project8080 www
Covers the development of a Heathkit H8 emulator on Macintosh. Project8080.
- An blueMSX www
An open source SVI318/328, blueMSX, MSX1, MSX2, MSX2+, and Turbo-R emulator for Windows. blueMSX.
- Open XRoar www
Open source Dragon 32/64 and Tandy CoCo emulator for GP32, XRoar, Linux, MacOS/PPC, Nintendo DS, and Windows. XRoar.
- A SPRINT www
A freeware Sprinter emulator for Linux/i386 and Windows. SPRINT.
- A mic1 www
A Java-based simulator which implements the Mic-1 microarchitecture described in Chapter 4 of Andrew S. mic1. Tanenbaum, Structured Computer Organization, Fourth Edition. [Open source, GPL] mic1.
- An Emu51 www
An open source 8051 emulator for Linux and Windows. Emu51.
- An CP/M www
- An cinc www
An open source Bell Labs cardiac emulator for Linux and Windows/Cygwin. cinc.
- An GXemul www
An open source full-system computer architecture emulation framework for Unix-like systems. GXemul. Screenshots, download, and documentation. GXemul.
- A Desktop Cyber www
A CDC (Control Data Corporation) Cyber 6x00, Cyber, 7x or 17x type mainframe emulator for Windows or Unix. Desktop Cyber.
- An Emu48 www
An open source HP38/39/40/48/49 emulator for Windows. Emu48.
- Shareware HP15c www
Shareware HP-15C emulator for Windows. HP15c.
- An Altair32 www
An open source Altair emulator for Windows. Altair32.
- ABC80 Exon gives you The Right Stuff www
ABC80 emulators for MS-DOS and Windows 95. Exon gives you The Right Stuff.
- The Luxor ABC 800 series www
The index to the site that maintains the archive for the technical data and history of Luxor ABC800 microcomputers. Luxor ABC 800 series.
- BBC 8-Bit Software www
BBC and Master computer public domain library. 8-Bit Software.
- A BBC Connect www
A freeware Windows front-end for the BBC emulators BeebEm, Connect, B-Em, PcBBC and the Electron emulator ElectrEm. BBC Connect.
- Some Unofficial UAE patches www
Some unofficial patches for UAE. Unofficial UAE patches.
- An XFellow Amiga Emulator www
An abandoned Linux port of the Fellow Amiga emulator. XFellow Amiga Emulator.
- A Arnimedes www
A freeware CPC emulator for Windows. Arnimedes. An older DOS version is also available. Arnimedes.
- A WinAPE www
A freeware CPC464, WinAPE, CPC464+, CPC664, CPC6128, and CPC6128 emulator for Windows. WinAPE.
- The GNUton www
The GNUton project is a re-implementation of the (defunct) Apple Newton platform. GNUton. It consists of the virtual machine, storage architecture and templates for GUI and general OS features. It aims to support execution of existing pure NewtonScript packages. GNUton.
- An Pom1 www
An open source Apple 1 emulator for Windows. Pom1.
- Shareware Rainbow www
Shareware Atari 400/800/800XL/130XE/5200 emulator for MacOS and Win32. Rainbow.
- Windows Atari800Win PLus www
Windows port of Atari800 based on the original Atari800Win v2. PLus.5c sources. Atari800Win PLus.
- Alexa: Emulators Computers
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Emulators Computers
- DMOZ: Emulators Computers
dmoz.org Directory: Emulators Computers