SCSI is a "stand alone" independent communications channel. It can work with any operating systems such as Unix and all its versions, Microsoft Windows and so forth. It is the channel of choice. Many motherboards now are being designed to incorporate SCSI. It's an intelligent peripheral I-O interface with a standard, device independent protocol that allows many different peripheral devices to be attached to the host's SCSI port. Allows up to 8, 16 or 32 addresses on the bus depending on the width of the bus. Devices can include multiple hosts (initiators) and peripheral devices (targets) but must include a minimum of one of each. SCSI provides a high-speed, intelligent interface that allows an easy connection for up to 16 devices (8 devices for Narrow SCSI) on a single bus. SCSI Buses Hardware Computers.
Small Computer System Interface ( SCSI, / ˈ s k ʌ z i / SKUZ -ee ) is a set of standards for physically connecting and transferring data between computers and peripheral devices. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Small Computer System Interface is a set of standards for physically connecting and transferring data between computers and peripheral devices. The SCSI standards define commands, protocols, electrical, optical and logical interfaces. SCSI is most commonly used for hard disk drives and tape drives, but it can connect a wide range of other devices, including scanners and CD drives, although not all controllers can handle all devices. The SCSI standard defines command sets for specific peripheral device types; the presence of "unknown" as one of these types means that in theory it can be used as an interface to almost any device, but the standard is highly pragmatic and addressed toward commercial requirements.
- SCSI Category
- Fibre Channel - Fibre Channel, or FC, is a high-speed network technology providing in-order, lossless delivery of raw block data, primarily used to connect computer data storage to servers. Fibre Channel is mainly used in storage area networks in commercial data centers.
- Parallel SCSI - Parallel SCSI is the earliest of the interface implementations in the SCSI family. In addition to being a data bus, SPI is a parallel electrical bus: There is one set of electrical connections stretching from one end of the SCSI bus to the other.
- Serial Attached SCSI - In computing, Serial Attached SCSI is a point-to-point serial protocol that moves data to and from computer-storage devices such as hard drives and tape drives. SAS replaces the older Parallel SCSI bus technology that first appeared in the mid-1980s.
- Computing acronyms
- Macintosh internals
- An Webopedia - SCSI Information www
An online encyclopedia and search engine dedicated to computer technology. Webopedia - SCSI Information.
- From SCSI www
From Wolfgang Schulte's SCSI information guide. SCSI.
- Informative SCSI Common Codes and Values www
Informative summaries for several of the more commonly used codes and coded values are included as annex information in the SCSI Primary Commands - 2 (SPC-2) draft standard. SCSI Common Codes and Values.
- Describes The Linux SCSI (sg) Generic HOWTO www
Describes the SCSI Generic driver (sg) found in the Linux 2. Linux SCSI (sg) Generic HOWTO.4 production series of kernels, focusing on the interface and characteristics of the driver for application writers. The Linux SCSI (sg) Generic HOWTO.
- Internet iSCSI www
Internet SCSI. iSCSI. New Internet Protocol (IP)-based storage networking standard for linking data storage facilities, developed by the IETF. Definition from Whatis. iSCSI.
- Article Advanced Horizons www
Article called SCSI Explained includes: why it came about, Horizons, bus width and speed, types and other benefits of SCSI. Advanced Horizons.
- The T10 Home Page www
The technical committee of the National Committee on Information Technology Standards. Home Page. NCITS is accredited by, and operates under rules that are approved by, the American National Standards Institute. T10 Home Page.
- Written What is SCSI? from Storage Search www
Written by Performance Technologies. SCSI? from Storage Search. What is SCSI? from Storage Search.
- This On-Line Extraction of SCSI Disk Drive Parameters www
This report describes a suite of general-purpose techniques and algorithms for acquiring the necessary data from SCSI disks via the ANSI-standard interface. Extraction of SCSI Disk Drive Parameters. (choose a download format) On-Line Extraction of SCSI Disk Drive Parameters.
- Small STA - The SCSI Trade Association www
Small Computer System Interface, The SCSI Trade Association, an official industry standard for 12 years. Helps educate OEM's, resellers and IT professionals about SCSI, one of the industry's most widely adopted I/O interfaces. Also helps shape the future of SCSI to ensure performance and compatibility. STA - The SCSI Trade Association.
- Information WWW Virtual Library for SCSI www
Information on SCSI bus interface, Virtual Library for SCSI, standards, manufacturers and distributors, technical information, books and test equipment, a part of the Virtual Libraries system. WWW Virtual Library for SCSI.
- The IP-Over-SCSI www
The purpose of IP Over SCSI is to connect two or more computers with SCSI interfaces using the IP protocol. IP-Over-SCSI.
- Chart SCSI-3 Standards Architecture www
Chart reflects the currently approved SCSI-3 project family. Standards Architecture. All projects are in T10, except Fibre Channel is in T11 and 1394 is in IEEE. SCSI-3 Standards Architecture.
- High Linux www
High performance SCSI and RAID: What is SCSI? Linux.
- Manufactures Paralan www
Manufactures extenders and converters for LVD/MSE, Paralan, HVD and SE SCSI also includes Fiber Optic, ASICs design and cables. Paralan.
- Design Rancho Technology www
Design and manufacture single to differential-ended converters and SCSI bus extenders. Technology. Includes Ultra2 LVD SCSI, Ultra160 SCSI, and Ultra4. Specializing in custom (OEM) solutions. Rancho Technology.
- Good comp.periphs.scsi FAQ part 1 of 2 www
Good collection of usenet posting concerning SCSI, FAQ part 1 of 2, in two parts. This is part one. comp.periphs.scsi FAQ part 1 of 2.
- Useful AwardOne Technology. www
Useful FAQ of SCSI information. AwardOne Technology..
- Manufactures Apcon www
Manufactures products that add functionality to SCSI bus computer systems. Apcon. Recently introduced High Availability solutions for Windows NT, UNIX, OS/2, and Netware environments which protect network servers from expensive downtime. Apcon.
- SCSI-TV: Ami Trix Development www
SCSI-TV: a SCSI interface for the Amiga A570 and CDTV. Trix Development. Frequently Asked Questions Ami Trix Development.
- Manufacturer All Link Electronics Co. www
Manufacturer of cable assemblies, Link Electronics Co., connectors, adapters and terminators. Factories located in China and Taiwan. All Link Electronics Co..
- Custom Quality Cable Source www
Custom cable, Cable Source, wire harness and panel assemblies. RS232, power cords, RF coaxial assemblies, flat ribbon cables. Located in Illinois, USA. Quality Cable Source.
- Promoting The SCSI Trade Association www
Promoting increased understanding and use, SCSI Trade Association, to serve as a central distribution source for information and to guiding the growth and evolution of this standard into the future. The SCSI Trade Association.
- Approved How to Get T10 Draft Standards and other Publications www
Approved American National Standards and Technical Reports may be purchased ANSI or from Global Engineering Documents. Get T10 Draft Standards and other Publications. List of available documents and designated numbers. How to Get T10 Draft Standards and other Publications.
- A SCSI Glossary www
A glossary of SCSI terminology, Glossary, updated frequently as proposed new standards become operational. SCSI Glossary.
- Reviews SCSI World www
Reviews and articles, World, not finished yet but a good source for information. SCSI World.
- Responsible Technical Committee T13 AT Attachment www
Responsible for all interface standards relating to the popular AT Attachment (ATA) storage interface utilized as the disk drive interface on most personal and mobile computers today. Technical Committee T13 AT Attachment.
- Includes Beyond Logic www
Includes detailed information on USP, Logic, serial ports (RS-232), parallel ports (SPP/ECP/EPP/IEEE1284) and device drivers. Beyond Logic.
- Alexa: SCSI Buses
Alexa Directory Top Sites: SCSI Buses
- DMOZ: SCSI Buses
dmoz.org Directory: SCSI Buses