A collection of materials relating to the history of computing. Historical Hardware Computers.
History (from Greek ἱστορία, historia, meaning "inquiry, knowledge acquired by investigation") is the study of the past as it is described in written documents. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: History is the study of the past as it is described in written documents. Events occurring before written record are considered prehistory. It is an umbrella term that relates to past events as well as the memory, discovery, collection, organization, presentation, and interpretation of information about these events. Scholars who write about history are called historians.
- History Category
- Auxiliary sciences of history - Auxiliary sciences of history are scholarly disciplines which help evaluate and use historical sources and are seen as auxiliary for historical research.
- Archival research - Archival research is a type of primary research which involves seeking out and extracting evidence from original archival records.
- Bibliography - Bibliography, as a discipline, is traditionally the academic study of books as physical, cultural objects; in this sense, it is also known as bibliology.
- Computational history - Computational history is a multidisciplinary field that studies history through machine learning and other data-driven, computational approaches.
- Popular history - Popular history is a broad and somewhat ill-defined genre of historiography that takes a popular approach, aims at a wide readership, and usually emphasizes narrative, personality and vivid detail over scholarly analysis.
- Historiography of Argentina - The Historiography of Argentina is composed of the works of the authors that have written about the History of Argentina. The first historiographical works are usually considered to be those by Bartolom Mitre and other authors from the middle 19th century.
- Honoring The Oldskool PC Shrines www
Honoring personal computing in the 1980s. The Oldskool PC Shrines.
- Rescues The Computer Closet www
Rescues classic microcomputers and video games from the junk heap. The Computer Closet.
- Documentation The SWTPC Computer Documentation Repository www
Documentation for the SWTPC computer line. The SWTPC Computer Documentation Repository.
- Information ICL 1900 Series Computers www
Information about the ICL 1900 series mainframes from the 1970s, 1900 Series Computers, both hardware and software. The George (1S, 2, 3 and 4) series operating systems, Minimop and Maximop. Programming languages and other information. ICL 1900 Series Computers.
- CBI Charles Babbage Institute www
CBI is a research center dedicated to promoting the study of the history of computing and its impact on society, Babbage Institute, and preserving relevant documentation. Charles Babbage Institute.
- History Mechanical Aids to Calculation www
History on the first automatic totalizer by Sir George Julius, Aids to Calculation, mechanical aids to calculation - extracts of a paper presented to the Institution of Engineers Australia in 1920. Mechanical Aids to Calculation.
- Collection Retro Computer Gallery www
Collection of pictures of old computers, Computer Gallery, consoles, handhelds and magazines. Retro Computer Gallery.
- A The Burroughs B-205 Computer www
A mixture of science fiction and fact concerning the B205. The Burroughs B-205 Computer.
- Dedicated John Elliott www
Dedicated to computers and/or operating systems which some might describe as obsolete. John Elliott.
- Devoted PC - History www
Devoted to the history of the PC, History, covers all types of personal computers from 1970 to present. PC - History.
- Shows Enigma Replica www
Shows all processes involved Building a replica of the German M4 Naval Enigma. Enigma Replica.
- The Blinkenlights Archaeological Institute www
The Institute was established in 1997 to excavate, Archaeological Institute, preserve, research, and present interesting and historically significant computing devices. Blinkenlights Archaeological Institute.
- Site MIXTEL www
Site is dedicated to the first home computer that could be bought in the UK. MIXTEL.
- A Video Genie System www
A personal tribute to an early model PC. Video Genie System.
- Information BESM-6 Nostalgia Page www
Information about the late Soviet mainframe computer BESM-6, Nostalgia Page, the last original was dismantled in 1995. BESM-6 Nostalgia Page.
- Historical APF Imagination Machine www
Historical information about the APF 6800 computer and its designers. APF Imagination Machine.
- Altair The SIMH Altair 8800 Z80 simulator www
Altair emulator for PC and Mac. The SIMH Altair 8800 Z80 simulator.
- Brief Altair www
Brief article on the history of the Altair 8800. Altair.
- Anecdotes Folklore.org www
Anecdotes about the development of Apple's original Macintosh computer and the people who created it. Folklore.org.
- Book Owen Ink: Apple Confidential www
Book about Apple history. Ink: Apple Confidential. Author also has links to columns of his, including a historical series from 1998 Owen Ink: Apple Confidential.
- A Dragon Data Archive www
A collection of Dragon Data Ltd (UK) computers, Data Archive, hardware, software, and advertisements, with photographs, publications, and a swap shop. Dragon Data Archive.
- A Obscure Pixels www
A collection of old computers and game consoles. Obscure Pixels.
- The Nationmaster Encyclopedia: Colossus computer www
The purpose, Encyclopedia: Colossus computer, origins, and design of the world's first programmable digital electronic computer. Nationmaster Encyclopedia: Colossus computer.
- Descriptions Bletchley Park Museum : Lorenz Cipher Machine www
Descriptions of the Lorenz cipher machine and the Colossus computer built to crack the code. Park Museum : Lorenz Cipher Machine. Information on the rebuild of a working Colossus. Bletchley Park Museum : Lorenz Cipher Machine.
- Documentation, Ruud's Commodore Site www
Documentation, Commodore Site, ROM listings, and interfacing information about the KIM, PET, CBM, VIC-20, C64 and C128 computers. Ruud's Commodore Site.
- Covers VLSI Discussion Forum www
Covers many related topics: EDA tools, Discussion Forum, VHDL, Verilog; fabrication; FPGAs, ASICs, microprocessors, semiconductors, CMOS. VLSI Discussion Forum.
- Community Hardware Central www
Community and forum providing news, Central, reviews, reports, and editorials on computer hardware. Hardware Central.
- Alexa: Historical Hardware
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Historical Hardware
- DMOZ: Historical Hardware
dmoz.org Directory: Historical Hardware