Computer systems are any set of hardware, firmware, and peripherals, designed to work together. For personal computers, PCs, a system comprises at least the following: a system unit housing hardware and, the motherboard and any related expansion boards, disk drives (hard, floppy, CD-DVD), memory; a keyboard, a mouse and a monitor. Other devices may be present, such as a printer, modem or backup tape drive. Operating systems and application software can be thought of as parts of a full computer system, but this section focuses on HARDWARE components only. The Computers-Systems section covers hardware and software systems. Systems Hardware Computers.
In the 19th century the French physicist Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot, who studied thermodynamics, pioneered the development of the concept of a "system" in the natural sciences. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: A system is a regularly interacting or interdependent group of items forming an integrated whole. Every system is delineated by its spatial and temporal boundaries, surrounded and influenced by its environment, described by its structure and purpose and expressed in its functioning.
- Physical system - In physics, a physical system is a portion of the physical universe chosen for analysis. Everything outside the system is known as the environment. The environment is ignored except for its effects on the system.
- Conceptual system - A conceptual system is a system that is composed of non-physical objects, i.e. ideas or concepts. In this context a system is taken to mean "an interrelated, interworking set of objects".
- Complex system - A complex system is a system composed of many components which may interact with each other. In many cases it is useful to represent such a system as a network where the nodes represent the components and the links their interactions.
- Formal system - A formal system or logical calculus is any well-defined system of abstract thought based on the model of mathematics. A formal system need not be mathematical as such; for example, Spinoza's Ethics imitates the form of Euclid's Elements.
- Information system - An information system is an organized system for the collection, organization, storage and communication of information.
- Meta-system - Meta-systems have several definitions. In general, they link the concepts "system" and "meta-". A "meta-system" is about other systems, such as describing, generalizing, modelling, or analyzing the other system.
- International Fujitsu Ltd. www
International manufacturer of computers, Ltd., supercomputers, desktops and laptops. In English and Japanese. Fujitsu Ltd..
- Produces SAE-Stahl GmbH www
Produces operating systems for variety of special purpose requirements. GmbH. Includes panels for use in hazardous areas and on board ships. SAE-Stahl GmbH.
- Develops NEI www
Develops purpose-built platforms, NEI, appliances and support services for application software developers, OEMs and service providers. NEI.
- Provider AMAX Information Technologies www
Provider of custom servers, Information Technologies, storage, HPC, and OEM appliance manufacturing. ISO 9001 certified full turnkey solution. AMAX Information Technologies.
- Manufacturer Toshiba www
Manufacturer of servers, Toshiba, desktop and laptop computers. Toshiba.
- Independent Trinicomp Systems, Inc. www
Independent reseller of computer products from a variety of manufacturers, Systems, Inc., located in Massachusetts. Trinicomp Systems, Inc..
- Features Compaq Continuous Profiling Infrastructure (DCPI) www
Features an advanced development kit for Compaq Alpha platforms. Continuous Profiling Infrastructure (DCPI). Compaq Continuous Profiling Infrastructure (DCPI).
- Specializes Microway, Inc. www
Specializes in designing custom configurations of Alpha, Inc., Athlon, Pentium based Linux Beowulf clusters, workstations for web/network servers, fault-tolerant SCSI RAID arrays. Alpha motherboards, add-in cards; custom designed, 3D design and DSP. Also 32-bit NDP Fortran, CICH, Pascal compilers. Microway, Inc..
- Altair The SIMH Altair 8800 Z80 simulator www
Altair emulator for PC and Mac. The SIMH Altair 8800 Z80 simulator.
- Brief Altair www
Brief article on the history of the Altair 8800. Altair.
- Online AmigaZone www
Online resource for Amiga enthusiasts. AmigaZone.
- Covers Classic Amiga www
Covers various aspects of the platform including games, Amiga, demos, software, hardware and magazines. Also includes a forum. Classic Amiga.
- Manufacturers Amstrad plc www
Manufacturers and suppliers of Telecoms, plc, Audio, TV, Video, Digital Satellite and Cable TV products. Amstrad plc.
- Non-profit Merline-Serve www
Non-profit supplier of Amstrad CPC and PCW goods. Merline-Serve.
- A Apple II History www
A history of the Apple II by Steven Weyhrich. Apple II History.
- An A2Central.com www
An Apple II web portal with news, A2Central.com, reviews, feature articles, software and links, and a telnettable online service with message boards and chats. A2Central.com.
- Subdomains, Atari.org www
Subdomains, Atari.org, news and hosted sites. Atari.org.
- Developing ICD, Inc. www
Developing products for a wide range of computing environments including Atari, Inc., Amiga, Macintosh and the PC. ICD, Inc..
- Community Hardware Central www
Community and forum providing news, Central, reviews, reports, and editorials on computer hardware. Hardware Central.
- Covers VLSI Discussion Forum www
Covers many related topics: EDA tools, Discussion Forum, VHDL, Verilog; fabrication; FPGAs, ASICs, microprocessors, semiconductors, CMOS. VLSI Discussion Forum.
- Alexa: Systems Hardware
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Systems Hardware
- DMOZ: Systems Hardware
dmoz.org Directory: Systems Hardware