Domain_Names guides users to subcategories which contain all resources and services having to do with Domain Name Services. The Domain Name System (DNS) is a distributed database used by computer systems to map between hostnames and IP addresses, and to provide electronic mail routing information. Each site (university department, campus,company, or department within a company, for example) maintains its own database of information and runs a server program that other systems across the Internet can query. The DNS provides the protocol which allows clients and servers to communicate with each other. This section and its sub-categories include the companies that provide the resources to make this system work, companies that provide the resources to end users for use or resell and sites that discuss issues in the system. Domain Names Internet Computers.
- Wikipedia: A domain name is an identification string that defines a realm of administrative autonomy, authority or control within the Internet. Domain names are formed by the rules and procedures of the Domain Name System. Any name registered in the DNS is a domain name.
- Domain hack - A domain hack is a domain name that suggests a word, phrase, or name when concatenating two or more adjacent levels of that domain. For example, and, using the fictitious country-code domains.ds and.le, suggest the words birds and example respectively.
- Domain hijacking - Domain hijacking or domain theft is the act of changing the registration of a domain name without the permission of its original registrant, or by abuse of privileges on domain hosting and registrar software systems.
- Domain name warehousing - Domain name warehousing is the practice of registrars obtaining control of expired domain names already under their management, with the intent to hold or "warehouse" names for their own use and/or profit.
- Domain registration - Domain registration is the process of acquiring a domain name from a domain name registrar.
- Domain tasting - Domain tasting is the practice of temporarily registering a domain under the five-day Add Grace Period at the beginning of the registration of an ICANN-regulated second-level domain. During this period, a registration must be fully refunded by the domain name registry if cancelled.
- Domaining - Domain name speculation is the practice of identifying and registering or acquiring Internet domain names as an investment with the intent of selling them later for a profit.
- Domain names
- Domain name system
- Research Domains Reregistered for Distribution of Unrelated Content - A Case Study of "Tina's Free Live Webcam" www
Research documenting 4525 domains registered by 'Tina's Free Live Webcam. Reregistered for Distribution of Unrelated Content - A Case Study of "Tina's Free Live Webcam".' Each domain was previously used by another registrant, and Tina seems to have specifically sought to re-register the domains as they became available. Includes a discussion of the scope of this problem, policy implications, and possible solutions. Domains Reregistered for Distribution of Unrelated Content - A Case Study of "Tina's Free Live Webcam".
- Reports The Register - Cracking down on cyberspace land grabs www
Reports on an IP-block hijacking when "Los Angeles County had been hit by a growing type of hi-tech fraud, Register - Cracking down on cyberspace land grabs, in which large, and usually dormant, segments of the Internet's address space are taken away from their registered users through an elaborate shell game of forged letters, ephemeral domain names and anonymous corporate fronts." The Register - Cracking down on cyberspace land grabs.
- An Public Suffix List www
An initiative of the Mozilla Foundation to record domain name suffices such as ". Suffix List.com" or ".co.uk" under which sub-domains for different entities are registrable. Includes FAQs, the list file, and instructions for registrars to submit changes. Public Suffix List.
- The ICANN www
The non-profit corporation responsible for IP address allocation, ICANN, protocol parameter assignment, as well as domain name and root server system management functions. ICANN.
- MobileTLD.com Mobile Domain Names Registrar www
MobileTLD. Domain Names Registrar.com registers domain names for Wireless Internet use in 9 zones (.mobile, .imode, .mmode, .palm, .wap, .hdml, .3g, .wire, .pda) and 340 second level spaces. Mobile Domain Names Registrar.
- Alternate Domain Name Systems www
Alternate Registry of the . Name Systems.xxx and .sex domains. Domain Name Systems.
- This Request For Comment 1035 www
This RFC describes the details of the domain system and protocol, For Comment 1035, and assumes that the reader is familiar with the concepts discussed in a companion RFC, "Domain Names - Concepts and Facilities" [RFC-1034]. Request For Comment 1035.
- Offers DNSSEC - DNS Security Extensions www
Offers information about DNSSEC: Security Extensions for DNS. DNS Security Extensions. Includes DNSSEC projects, articles, news, developments, presentations, howto's and RFC's. DNSSEC - DNS Security Extensions.
- Article Register: Reuters Cybersquats on Man's Domain www
Article about Reuters' refusal to relinquish reters. Reuters Cybersquats on Man's Domain.com to Mr. Stanley Reters. By Kieren McCarthy. Register: Reuters Cybersquats on Man's Domain.
- Hong Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre www
Hong Kong-based dispute resolution institute offers a procedural guide for claims filed by trademark owners. Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre. Includes an index of decisions made in each of its three branches. Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre.
- Verzorgt Stichting Internet Domeinregistratie Nederland www
Verzorgt de uitgifte en registratie van . Internet Domeinregistratie Nederland.nl-domeinnamen. Nieuws, informatie over organisatie en voorschriften, opvragen van registratiegevens. Stichting Internet Domeinregistratie Nederland.
- Biedt Domeinforum.nl www
Biedt domeinnamen te koop aan op het forum. Domeinforum.nl.
- Offers Chic Hospitality www
Offers training and hospitality related names. Chic Hospitality.
- Offers DomainCollection Inc . www
Offers searchable collection of domains. DomainCollection Inc ..
- Definitions Internationalized Domain Name Glossary www
Definitions of key terms and acronyms commonly used in internationalizing the domain name space. Internationalized Domain Name Glossary.
- Provides IDNNews.com www
Provides aggregated news about Internationalized Domain Names from a range of sources. IDNNews.com.
- International World Wide Web Consortium www
International industry consortium founded in 1994 whose purpose is to develop specifications, Wide Web Consortium, guidelines, software, and tools to promote the Internet's evolution and ensure its interoperability. World Wide Web Consortium.
- General LivingInternet.com www
General guide to the Internet, LivingInternet.com, includes sections covering the history of the Web, email, Usenet and other topics. LivingInternet.com.
- Alexa: Domain Names Internet
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Domain Names Internet
- DMOZ: Domain Names Internet
dmoz.org Directory: Domain Names Internet