Domain_Names guides users to subcategories which contain all resources and services having to do with Domain Name Services. The Domain Name System (DNS) is a distributed database used by computer systems to map between hostnames and IP addresses, and to provide electronic mail routing information. Each site (university department, campus,company, or department within a company, for example) maintains its own database of information and runs a server program that other systems across the Internet can query. The DNS provides the protocol which allows clients and servers to communicate with each other. This section and its sub-categories include the companies that provide the resources to make this system work, companies that provide the resources to end users for use or resell and sites that discuss issues in the system. Domain Names Internet Computers.
- Wikipedia: A domain name is an identification string that defines a realm of administrative autonomy, authority or control within the Internet. Domain names are formed by the rules and procedures of the Domain Name System. Any name registered in the DNS is a domain name.
- Domain hack - A domain hack is a domain name that suggests a word, phrase, or name when concatenating two or more adjacent levels of that domain. For example, and, using the fictitious country-code domains.ds and.le, suggest the word birds and example respectively.
- Domain hijacking - Domain hijacking or domain theft is the act of changing the registration of a domain name without the permission of its original registrant, or by abuse of privileges on domain hosting and registrar software systems.
- Domain name warehousing - Domain name warehousing is the practice of registrars obtaining control of expired domain names already under their management, with the intent to hold or "warehouse" names for their own use and/or profit.
- Domain registration - Domain registration is the process of acquiring a domain name from a domain name registrar.
- Domain tasting - Domain tasting is the practice of temporarily registering a domain under the five-day Add Grace Period at the beginning of the registration of an ICANN-regulated second-level domain. During this period, a registration must be fully refunded by the domain name registry if cancelled.
- Domaining - Domain name speculation is the practice of identifying and registering or acquiring Internet domain names as an investment with the intent of selling them later for a profit.
- Domain names
- Domain name system
- Reports The Register - Cracking down on cyberspace land grabs www
Reports on an IP-block hijacking when "Los Angeles County had been hit by a growing type of hi-tech fraud, Register - Cracking down on cyberspace land grabs, in which large, and usually dormant, segments of the Internet's address space are taken away from their registered users through an elaborate shell game of forged letters, ephemeral domain names and anonymous corporate fronts." The Register - Cracking down on cyberspace land grabs.
- Research Domains Reregistered for Distribution of Unrelated Content - A Case Study of "Tina's Free Live Webcam" www
Research documenting 4525 domains registered by 'Tina's Free Live Webcam. Reregistered for Distribution of Unrelated Content - A Case Study of "Tina's Free Live Webcam".' Each domain was previously used by another registrant, and Tina seems to have specifically sought to re-register the domains as they became available. Includes a discussion of the scope of this problem, policy implications, and possible solutions. Domains Reregistered for Distribution of Unrelated Content - A Case Study of "Tina's Free Live Webcam".
- An Public Suffix List www
An initiative of the Mozilla Foundation to record domain name suffices such as ". Suffix List.com" or ".co.uk" under which sub-domains for different entities are registrable. Includes FAQs, the list file, and instructions for registrars to submit changes. Public Suffix List.
- The ICANN www
The non-profit corporation responsible for IP address allocation, ICANN, protocol parameter assignment, as well as domain name and root server system management functions. ICANN.
- MobileTLD.com Mobile Domain Names Registrar www
MobileTLD. Domain Names Registrar.com registers domain names for Wireless Internet use in 9 zones (.mobile, .imode, .mmode, .palm, .wap, .hdml, .3g, .wire, .pda) and 340 second level spaces. Mobile Domain Names Registrar.
- Alternate Domain Name Systems www
Alternate Registry of the . Name Systems.xxx and .sex domains. Domain Name Systems.
- The IANA Root Zone Database www
The official list of all generic and country specific TLD's, Root Zone Database, with contact information for the corresponding sponsors and registries. IANA Root Zone Database.
- Offers DNS & BIND Resources www
Offers information about DNS and the BIND Nameserver Software from ISC. & BIND Resources. Includes links, manuals, mailing lists, RFCs and download locations. DNS & BIND Resources.
- A CNN: New Group Formed to Resolve Domain Conflicts www
A group of Internet top-level domain (TLD) holders have formed a nonprofit association to prevent what they fear will become a splintered Internet domain naming system. CNN: New Group Formed to Resolve Domain Conflicts.
- FAQs Chilling Effects Clearinghouse: Domain Names and Trademarks www
FAQs and advice on how to defend against claims of domain name trademark infringement and other legal scare tactics, Effects Clearinghouse: Domain Names and Trademarks, compiled by students at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School. Chilling Effects Clearinghouse: Domain Names and Trademarks.
- Reglement Cepina www
Reglement voor beslechting van geschillen inzake . Cepina.be domeinnamen Cepina.
- Over Domeinnaam voor beginners www
Over domeinnamen en registratie, voor beginners, de aanvraag van een gratis domein, alternatieven en het gebruik van meerdere domeinen. Domeinnaam voor beginners.
- Offers LongIsland.LI www
Offers Liechtenstein domains. LongIsland.LI.
- A NameSeek www
A large and diverse selection of names for sale in a keyword searchable catalog. NameSeek.
- Established ICANN Public Comments Forum on Internationalized Domain Names www
Established for comments and discussion about the introduction of internationalized domain names. ICANN Public Comments Forum on Internationalized Domain Names.
- Established Chinese Domain Name Consortium www
Established on May 2000 in Beijing by four NICs. Domain Name Consortium. As an independent non-profit organization, CDNC will mainly take in charge of the coordination and regulation about Chinese domain name around the world. Chinese Domain Name Consortium.
- International World Wide Web Consortium www
International industry consortium founded in 1994 whose purpose is to develop specifications, Wide Web Consortium, guidelines, software, and tools to promote the Internet's evolution and ensure its interoperability. World Wide Web Consortium.
- General LivingInternet.com www
General guide to the Internet, LivingInternet.com, includes sections covering the history of the Web, email, Usenet and other topics. LivingInternet.com.
- Alexa: Domain Names Internet
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Domain Names Internet
- DMOZ: Domain Names Internet
dmoz.org Directory: Domain Names Internet