Accounts of the origins and development of the Internet. Archived material from the Internet's past. History Internet Computers.
History (from Greek ἱστορία, historia, meaning "inquiry, knowledge acquired by investigation") is the study of the past as it is described in written documents. (wikipedia)
- History The study of the past as it is described in written documents. Events occurring before...
- History of the world The history of humanity, as determined from archaeology, anthropology, genetics, linguistics, and...
- History of the Earth The history of Earth concerns the development of planet Earth from its formation to the present day.
- Philosophy of history The philosophical study of history and the past.
- Medical history The medical history or case history of a patient is information gained by a physician by asking...
- Changelog A log or record of all notable changes made to a project.
- History The Histories of Herodotus is now considered the founding work of history in Western literature.
- History (band) A South Korean boy group formed by LOEN Entertainment in 2013.
- History (U.S. TV network) A history-based digital cable and satellite television network that is owned by A&E Networks, a...
- Herstory Herstory is story written from a feminist perspective, emphasizing the role of women, or told...
- Net Valley www
Explores the history of the Internet. Valley. Includes information on significant companies and Silicon Valley history.
- This History of the Internet: Internet for Historians www
This overview by Richard T. the Internet: Internet for Historians. Griffiths covers the development of computers, ArpaNet, email, search engines and Basic Net Data. History of the Internet: Internet for Historians.
- An The Executive Computer; A Web of Networks, an Abundance of Services www
An early New York Times article on the Internet. The Executive Computer; A Web of Networks, an Abundance of Services.
- Brief The Story of the PING Program www
Brief article about this network utility, Story of the PING Program, written by its creator, Mike Muuss. The Story of the PING Program.
- An A Brief History of the Internet www
An anecdotal history by Walt Howe of the people and communities that brought about the Internet and the Web. Brief History of the Internet. Includes a glossary of terms. A Brief History of the Internet.
- The 1971 Prediction of the Web/Telesphere www
1971 Prediction of the Web/Telesphere.
- Ben A Short History of Internet Protocols at CERN www
Ben Segal traces the history of the Internet at CERN. A Short History of Internet Protocols at CERN.
- A Internet Society: Internet Histories www
A list of links to resources. Internet Society: Internet Histories.
- An Internet Society: A Brief History of the Internet www
An authoritative history, Society: A Brief History of the Internet, written by some of those who were most closely associated with its creation and development. Internet Society: A Brief History of the Internet.
- Essay Paul Graham - What the Bubble Got Right www
Essay derived from an invited talk at ICFP 2004. Graham - What the Bubble Got Right. Discusses the dot-com bubble and lasting lessons learned from it. Paul Graham - What the Bubble Got Right.
- Lenny World-Wide Web: Origins And Beyond www
Lenny Zeltser describes some of the historical aspects of World-Wide Web development, Web: Origins And Beyond, as well as other forms of hypertext such as Xanadu. World-Wide Web: Origins And Beyond.
- Ross Brief History of the Internet www
Ross Shannon provides an overview of the Internet's origins, History of the Internet, from ARPANET and email to the Web. Includes a breakdown of the components that make up the Internet. Brief History of the Internet.
- Yahoo 80s BBS www
Yahoo group dedicated to the preservation of the history of the online world in the days before the Web (pre-1990). BBS. Text files, old buffer dumps, BBS discussions, buffers, or anything related to this era is welcome. 80s BBS.
- Archive Community Memory www
Archive of postings to this discussion list dedicated to the history of The Internet. Community Memory.
- It's SearchEngineWatch: Search Engine Birthdays www
It's been a little more than ten years ago that the first web search engines were born. Search Engine Birthdays. Chris Sherman charts the dates starting with WWW Wanderer in 1993. SearchEngineWatch: Search Engine Birthdays.
- Published World Wide Web Journal www
Published from the winter of 1996 thru the fall of 1997. Wide Web Journal. All issues online, including the Fourth International World Wide Web Conference Proceedings. World Wide Web Journal.
- Charles The Morris Internet Worm www
Charles Schmidt and Tom Darby explain the what, Morris Internet Worm, why, and how of the 1988 Internet worm. The Morris Internet Worm.
- Anthology Netizens Netbook www
Anthology of the history of Usenet and the Internet, Netbook, including descriptive as well as theoretical work. Netizens Netbook.
- Scholarly The Internet: Past, Present and Future: Internet and WWW History www
Scholarly article by Jesper Vissing Laursen on the development of the Internet. The Internet: Past, Present and Future: Internet and WWW History.
- Nonprofit The Internet Archive www
Nonprofit organisation established to preserve Web sites by taking regular "snapshots". Internet Archive. The Wayback Machine provides links to older versions of a webpage. There are special collections, for example on Web pioneers. The Internet Archive.
- Announcement The Register: Britain's Web Presence to be Saved www
Announcement of the creation of the UK Web Archiving Consortium (UKWAC). The Register: Britain's Web Presence to be Saved.
- Scanned ArpaNet Maps www
Scanned maps of the network for twelve distinct periods from December 1969 to March 1977. ArpaNet Maps.
- A Telehack www
A simulation of a stylized Arpanet/Usenet, Telehack, circa 1985-1990, including 25,000 hosts and BBS's of the early net, thousands of files from the era and simulated historical users. Telehack.
- Argues BusinessWeek Online : Google's Ads - and Minuses www
Argues that restrictive and opaque policies regarding Google's Adwords program hurts Google's reputation. BusinessWeek Online : Google's Ads - and Minuses.
- Many NYTimes.com: Sites Become Dependent on Google www
Many smaller merchants in specialized niches rely on their sites turning up in Google's free search results. Sites Become Dependent on Google. [Requires free nytimes.com registration to view.] NYTimes.com: Sites Become Dependent on Google.
- In Silicon Valley to Internet Valley www
In San Francisco Bay Area; background, Valley to Internet Valley, history, future: trends, forecasts. Silicon Valley to Internet Valley.
- Lecture The History of Computing Science: From the Past to the Present www
Lecture presented by Michelle A. History of Computing Science: From the Past to the Present. Hoyle explaining how computers and computing science arose from using sticks with notches for counting, to the massive explosion of personal computers in the 1980s. The History of Computing Science: From the Past to the Present.
- Jarkko The Invention of IRC www
Jarkko Oikarinen, Invention of IRC, founder of IRC, explains how it came about. The Invention of IRC.
- University Electropolis: Communication and Community on Internet Relay Chat www
University of Melbourne Department of History Honours Thesis by Elizabeth M. Communication and Community on Internet Relay Chat. Reid, 1991. Electropolis: Communication and Community on Internet Relay Chat.
- Index DMOZ Monthly www
Index to past issues of the Open Directory's community newsletter. DMOZ Monthly.
- The DMOZ Blog www
The official Open Directory weblog, Blog, containing news and information about the project. DMOZ Blog.
- General LivingInternet.com www
General guide to the Internet, LivingInternet.com, includes sections covering the history of the Web, email, Usenet and other topics. LivingInternet.com.
- International World Wide Web Consortium www
International industry consortium founded in 1994 whose purpose is to develop specifications, Wide Web Consortium, guidelines, software, and tools to promote the Internet's evolution and ensure its interoperability. World Wide Web Consortium.
- Alexa: History Internet
Alexa Directory Top Sites: History Internet
- DMOZ: History Internet
dmoz.org Directory: History Internet