Parallel computing is the science and art of programming computers that can do more than one operation at once, concurrently, during the same cycle, often via having more than one processor. Some parallel computers are just regular workstations that have more than one processor in them; others are giant single computers with many processors (these are generally referred to as supercomputers ); and others are networks of individual computers. A network of computers configured to coordinate on computing problems is also called a cluster. Parallel computers can run some types of programs far faster than traditional single processor computers, often termed the von Neumann architecture. Parallel Computing Computers.
Parallel computing is a type of computation in which many calculations are carried out simultaneously, or the execution of processes are carried out simultaneously. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Parallel computing is a type of computation in which many calculations or the execution of processes are carried out simultaneously. Large problems can often be divided into smaller ones, which can then be solved at the same time. There are several different forms of parallel computing: bit-level, instruction-level, data, and task parallelism. Parallelism has long been employed in high-performance computing, but it's gaining broader interest due to the physical constraints preventing frequency scaling. As power consumption by computers has become a concern in recent years, parallel computing has become the dominant paradigm in computer architecture, mainly in the form of multi-core processors.
- Parallel computing Category
- Concurrency (computer science) - In computer science, concurrency refers to the ability of different parts or units of a program, algorithm, or problem to be executed out-of-order or in partial order, without affecting the final outcome.
- Content Addressable Parallel Processor - A Content Addressable Parallel Processor is a type of parallel processor which uses content-addressing memory principles. CAPPs are intended for bulk computation.
- Manycore - Manycore processors are specialist multi-core processors designed for a high degree of parallel processing, containing a large number of simpler, independent processor cores. Manycore processors are used extensively in embedded computers and high-performance computing.
- Multi tasking - In computing, multitasking is the concurrent execution of multiple tasks over a certain period of time. New tasks can interrupt already started ones before they finish, instead of waiting for them to end.
- Parallel programming model - In computing, a parallel programming model is an abstraction of parallel computer architecture, with which it is convenient to express algorithms and their composition in programs.
- Serializability - In concurrency control of databases, transaction processing, and various transactional applications, both centralized and distributed, a transaction schedule is serializable if its outcome is equal to the outcome of its transactions executed serially, i.e. without overlapping in time.
- International IJHSC www
International Journal of High Speed Computing. IJHSC. Sample copy available, archives accessible to subscribers. IJHSC.
- NASA Who Wrote the Book of Life? www
NASA uses a parallel computer to classify new life forms. Wrote the Book of Life?. Who Wrote the Book of Life?.
- Links Internet Parallel Computing Archive www
Links to information about parallel algorithms, Parallel Computing Archive, computing environments and tools, newsgroups, and general references. Internet Parallel Computing Archive.
- An Grid Computing Info Centre www
An initiative to establish a global grid of computing power. Computing Info Centre. Links to conferences, development, and related information. Grid Computing Info Centre.
- Links Clustet Computing Info Centre www
Links to parallel computing resources. Clustet Computing Info Centre.
- Discussions Vas's Parallel Computer Taxonomy www
Discussions of past classification systems and development of a new one. Vas's Parallel Computer Taxonomy.
- Academic Supercomputing and Parallel Computing Research Groups www
Academic research groups and projects related to parallel computing. Supercomputing and Parallel Computing Research Groups.
- Discussion The Grid: The Next-Gen Internet? www
Discussion of the Grid. Grid: The Next-Gen Internet?. The Grid: The Next-Gen Internet?.
- News HOISe www
News on high performance computing from Europe. HOISe. Newsletters and conference calendar. HOISe.
- Links Nan's Parallel Computing Page www
Links to online books, Parallel Computing Page, tutorials, and research projects. Nan's Parallel Computing Page.
- Programming Cluster & Grid Computing www
Programming projects, & Grid Computing, calls for papers, software, documentation, other resources. Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany. Cluster & Grid Computing.
- Article Is Parallel Computing Dead? www
Article about the future of the parallel computing industry. Parallel Computing Dead?. Is Parallel Computing Dead?.
- Paper Sequence Analysis on a 216-Processor Beowulf Cluster www
Paper about constructing a Beowulf for bioinformatics research. Sequence Analysis on a 216-Processor Beowulf Cluster.
- A Scalable Cluster Environment www
A set of interoperable opensource tools that enable users to build and use Beowulf cluster effectively to solve their problems. Cluster Environment. It consist of a cluster builder tool, complex system management tool (SCMS), scalable real-time monitoring, Web base monitoring software (KCAP), parallel Unix command, and batch scheduler. Scalable Cluster Environment.
- Formal FMPPTA www
Formal Methods for Parallel Programming: Theory and Applications. FMPPTA. Held annually in conjunction with IPDPS. Details of past and future meetings. FMPPTA.
- The Supercomputing Conference series www
The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Conference series, Networking, Storage, and Analysis. Conference information and links to previous years' pages. Supercomputing Conference series.
- An The Distributed ASCI Supercomputer (DAS) www
An experimental wide-area distributed computing cluster used for parallel computing research at five Dutch universities. Distributed ASCI Supercomputer (DAS). The Distributed ASCI Supercomputer (DAS).
- Computer Is Distributed Computing a Crime? www
Computer network administrator faces multiple felony charges and years in prison for allegedly installing Distributed. Distributed Computing a Crime?.net clients without permission. [SecurityFocus] Is Distributed Computing a Crime?.
- Newsletter Parallel Computing Research www
Newsletter of the Center for Research on Parallel Computation at Rice Parallel Computing Research.
- Information Cluster Computing Info Centre www
Information about some cluster computing books. Computing Info Centre. Links to software and parallel computing documentation. Cluster Computing Info Centre.
- An Proteus Programming System www
An architecture-independent parallel programming language, Programming System, with translators for specific environments. Papers and binaries. Proteus Programming System.
- An Eiffel Parallel Execution Environment www
An object oriented design framework for programming distributed memory parallel computers. Parallel Execution Environment. Publications bibliography. Eiffel Parallel Execution Environment.
- Paper Proposal for a Common Parallel File System Programming Interface www
Paper about an API for parallel filesystems. Proposal for a Common Parallel File System Programming Interface.
- 64-bit Apple Xsan www
64-bit cluster file system from Apple. Apple Xsan.
- Alexa: Parallel Computing Computers
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Parallel Computing Computers
- DMOZ: Parallel Computing Computers
dmoz.org Directory: Parallel Computing Computers