This section holds links on projects or writings to create operating systems (OSs) coded in, or using extensively, the Lisp programming language or dialects of it. Operating Systems Software Lisp Languages Programming Computers.
An operating system ( OS ) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An operating system is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs.
- Antivirus software - Antivirus or anti-virus software, sometimes known as anti-malware software, is computer software used to prevent, detect and remove malicious software.
- Crash (computing) - In computing, a crash occurs when a computer program, such as a software application or an operating system, stops functioning properly and exits. The program responsible may appear to hang until a crash reporting service reports the crash and any details relating to it.
- Hypervisor - A hypervisor or virtual machine monitor is computer software, firmware or hardware that creates and runs virtual machines. A computer on which a hypervisor runs one or more virtual machines is called a host machine, and each virtual machine is called a guest machine.
- Interruptible operating system - An interruptible operating system is an operating system with ability to handle multiple interrupts concurrently, or in other words, which allow interrupts to be interrupted.
- Live CD - A live CD is a complete bootable computer installation including operating system which runs directly from a CD-ROM or similar storage device into a computer's memory, rather than loading from a hard disk drive.
- Glossary of operating systems terms
- Operating systems
- Brief Thoughts-on-a-LispOS www
Brief description, Thoughts-on-a-LispOS, with careful wish list outline; wiki. Thoughts-on-a-LispOS.
- Suggests Using Kernel Extensions to Decrease the Latency of User-Level Communication Primitives www
Suggests solving networking and distributed systems latency via operating system extensibility; University of New Mexico Technical Report. Using Kernel Extensions to Decrease the Latency of User-Level Communication Primitives.
- Brief Extensible Operating Systems www
Brief description, Operating Systems, and on-site links to descriptions of Choices, Exokernel, GLUnix, VINO, SPIN. Extensible Operating Systems.
- A Why Functional Programming Matters www
A paper by John Hughes from 1984 along with some translations distributed on the author web site. Why Functional Programming Matters.
- Functional Lemon www
Functional language with inductive and coinductive types. Lemon. Based on simply-typed lambda calculus augmented with sums, products, and mu and nu constructors for least (inductive) and greatest (coinductive) solutions to recursive type equations. Lemon.
- Table Message-based Functional Operating Systems www
Table of contents, Functional Operating Systems, citations, related indexes. ACM Portal. Message-based Functional Operating Systems.
- Table An Approach to Functional Operating Systems www
Table of contents, Approach to Functional Operating Systems, citations, related indexes. ACM Portal. An Approach to Functional Operating Systems.
- Fast, BRiX: SourceForge www
Fast, SourceForge, single privilege, single address space, preemptive multithreaded, persistent, data-centric, secure, multiuser OS, with safe language, reconfigurable graphical interface. BRiX: SourceForge.
- Research Choices Object-Oriented Operating System www
Research OS coded in C++, Object-Oriented Operating System, architecture organized as frameworks of objects hierarchically classed by function, performance; customized by replacing subframeworks, objects; application interface is kernel objects exported via application/kernel protection layer; kernel and application objects examined via application browsers; runs on bare hardware on distributed and parallel computers. Virtual Choices (VChoices) also runs under Unix System V. Choices Object-Oriented Operating System.
- Draft The Lisp Machine: Noble Experiment Or Fabulous Failure? www
Draft of paper by P. Lisp Machine: Noble Experiment Or Fabulous Failure?.T. Withington investigating the LispM and how it succeeded and failed in the face of the RISC workstation revolution; a good introduction to what a LispM is and why they were invented. The Lisp Machine: Noble Experiment Or Fabulous Failure?.
- A Xerox to Symbolics Mouse Conversion www
A document describing and giving schematics for converting a Xerox optical mouse for use with a Symbolics LispM. Symbolics Mouse Conversion. More useful today for Symbolics users who need technical information on their mouse connector and how to go about attaching other pointing devices in its place. Xerox to Symbolics Mouse Conversion.
- Mach MK++ www
Mach compatible microkernel; gives one code base able to support high assurance, MK++, scalability, realtime, distribution, SMP, fault handling, performance; all built in an object-oriented B3 evaluable fashion. MK++.
- Object-oriented Apertos www
Object-oriented reflective OS, Apertos, from Sony Computer Science Lab. Apertos.
- A TBNL www
A toolkit for building dynamic websites with Common Lisp. TBNL. It employs the popular Apache web server for the actual HTTP communication between the server and the browser and it uses Marc Battyani's mod_lisp for the communication between Apache and the Lisp image. [Open source, BSD-style license] TBNL.
- Small URL-Rewrite www
Small package, URL-Rewrite, can be used to programmatically rewrite (X)HTML documents, to replace some attribute values by others. Description, code samples, downloads, links. [Open source, BSD-style license] URL-Rewrite.
- Alexa: Operating Systems Software
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Operating Systems Software
- DMOZ: Operating Systems Software
dmoz.org Directory: Operating Systems Software