This section holds links on projects or writings to create operating systems (OSs) coded in, or using extensively, the Lisp programming language or dialects of it. Operating Systems Software Lisp Languages Programming Computers.
An operating system ( OS ) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An operating system is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs.
- Antivirus software - Antivirus or anti-virus software, sometimes known as anti-malware software, is computer software used to prevent, detect and remove malicious software.
- Hypervisor - A hypervisor or virtual machine monitor is computer software, firmware or hardware that creates and runs virtual machines. A computer on which a hypervisor runs one or more virtual machines is called a host machine, and each virtual machine is called a guest machine.
- Interruptible operating system - An interruptible operating system is an operating system with ability to handle multiple interrupts concurrently, or in other words, which allow interrupts to be interrupted.
- Live CD - A live CD is a complete bootable computer installation including operating system which runs directly from a CD-ROM or similar storage device into a computer's memory, rather than loading from a hard disk drive.
- Glossary of operating systems terms
- Microcontroller - A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit. In modern terminology, it is similar to, but less sophisticated than, a system on a chip or SoC; an SoC may include a microcontroller as one of its components.
- Operating systems
- Brief Thoughts-on-a-LispOS www
Brief description, Thoughts-on-a-LispOS, with careful wish list outline; wiki. Thoughts-on-a-LispOS.
- Stanford A Caching Model of Operating System Kernel Functionality www
Stanford Cache Kernel, Caching Model of Operating System Kernel Functionality, supervisor-mode component of V++ OS; caches system objects (threads, address spaces) to raise performance; microkernel alternative, performance equals normal monolithic OSs, yet gives application-level control of system resources, more modularity, scalability, smaller size, means of fault containment. A Caching Model of Operating System Kernel Functionality.
- Suggests Using Kernel Extensions to Decrease the Latency of User-Level Communication Primitives www
Suggests solving networking and distributed systems latency via operating system extensibility; University of New Mexico Technical Report. Using Kernel Extensions to Decrease the Latency of User-Level Communication Primitives.
- BitC BitC Language Specification www
BitC is a systems programming language that combines the low level nature of C with the semantic rigor of Scheme or ML. BitC Language Specification.
- Information Wadler: Monads www
Information on monads and functional programming Wadler: Monads.
- Table An Approach to Functional Operating Systems www
Table of contents, Approach to Functional Operating Systems, citations, related indexes. ACM Portal. An Approach to Functional Operating Systems.
- Table Message-based Functional Operating Systems www
Table of contents, Functional Operating Systems, citations, related indexes. ACM Portal. Message-based Functional Operating Systems.
- Fast, BRiX: SourceForge www
Fast, SourceForge, single privilege, single address space, preemptive multithreaded, persistent, data-centric, secure, multiuser OS, with safe language, reconfigurable graphical interface. BRiX: SourceForge.
- Research Choices Object-Oriented Operating System www
Research OS coded in C++, Object-Oriented Operating System, architecture organized as frameworks of objects hierarchically classed by function, performance; customized by replacing subframeworks, objects; application interface is kernel objects exported via application/kernel protection layer; kernel and application objects examined via application browsers; runs on bare hardware on distributed and parallel computers. Virtual Choices (VChoices) also runs under Unix System V. Choices Object-Oriented Operating System.
- Miscellaneous A Few Things I Know about Lisp Machines www
Miscellaneous information and meta-information, Few Things I Know about Lisp Machines, mostly small practical details not covered by other pages, for those who'd like to discover the fantastic lost world of Lisp Machines. A Few Things I Know about Lisp Machines.
- Draft The Lisp Machine: Noble Experiment Or Fabulous Failure? www
Draft of paper by P. Lisp Machine: Noble Experiment Or Fabulous Failure?.T. Withington investigating the LispM and how it succeeded and failed in the face of the RISC workstation revolution; a good introduction to what a LispM is and why they were invented. The Lisp Machine: Noble Experiment Or Fabulous Failure?.
- Investigating Iguana Project www
Investigating use of object-orientation, Project, computational reflection, and metaobject protocols (MOPs) to support dynamic customizing of (system) software. Iguana Project.
- Goal: Maruti www
Goal: create an environment for developing and deploying critical applications with hard real-time constraints in a reactive environment. Maruti. Such applications must be able to execute on a platform of distributed and heterogeneous resources, and operate continuously in the presence of faults. Maruti.
- Library CL-Interpol www
Library for Common Lisp, CL-Interpol, modifies reader to have interpolation within strings similar to Perl or Unix Shell scripts; gives various ways to insert arbitrary characters into literal strings even if editor/IDE doesn't support them. [Open source, BSD-style license] CL-Interpol.
- A CL-EMB www
A library to embed Common Lisp and special template tags into normal text files. CL-EMB. Can be used for dynamically generated HTML pages. [Open source, Lisp Lesser General Public Licence] CL-EMB.
- Alexa: Operating Systems Software
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Operating Systems Software
- DMOZ: Operating Systems Software
dmoz.org Directory: Operating Systems Software