Self was the first prototype-based programming language, and may still be the best known. Its development was inspired and strongly influenced by the pioneering work on Smalltalk By Xerox PARC. Self is a Smalltalk follow-on, and can be seen as a Smalltalk variant or dialect; though this is not strictly so if one defines Smalltalks as based on classes only, not prototypes. Self emerged from the University of California, Berkeley Smalltalk program, a custom RISC chip designed to run Smalltalk-80. Berkeley got the very first Smalltalk license (making it the first post-PARC Smalltalk) from Xerox PARC so they could put Smalltalk on their chip. Dave Ungar was head of the project, and became the main author of Self. Self Smalltalk Languages Programming Computers.
Self is a reference by an individual to the same individual person. This reference is necessarily subjective and it follows that self is a reference by a subject to the same subject. (wikipedia)
- Self A reference by an individual to the same individual person.
- Self (programming language) An object-oriented programming language based on the concept of prototypes.
- Self (magazine) An American magazine for women that specializes in health, wellness, beauty, and style.
- Self (band) An American alternative pop/rock band from Murfreesboro, Tennessee and is largely the creative...
- Self (album) The fourth studio album by the English group Quintessence.
- Self (company) A series of three cyclecars built by the brothers Per and Hugo Wiertz in Svedala in 1916, 1919...
- Self (novel) A novel by Yann Martel.
- self (computer science) this, self, and Me are keywords used in some computer programming languages to refer to the...
- Self (sculpture) An ongoing art project.
- Self, Arkansas An unincorporated community in Boone County, Arkansas, United States.
- Solar Electric Light Fund A Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit whose mission is to design and implement solar energy...
- Extension dSelf: A Distributed Self www
Extension to delegation and prototype-based object-oriented language Self: adds distributed objects, Distributed Self, transparent remote reference resolution, thus facilitating distributed inheritance and instantiation mechanisms. [ResearchIndex] dSelf: A Distributed Self.
- Tool Guru www
Tool for automatic restructuring (refactoring) of Self inheritance hierarchies. Guru. Such tools are most useful with OO languages, more so prototype-based. Brief description, example diagram, links. [Open Source, GPL] Guru.
- Self Hello, World program www
Self Hello, World program.
- Project Guru: SourceForge www
Project page: downloads, SourceForge, forums, statistics. Guru: SourceForge.
- Extension dSelf www
Extension to the delegation and prototype-based object-oriented language Self, dSelf, adds distributed objects and transparent remote reference resolution to the languages, so it facilitates distributed inheritance and instantiation mechanisms. dSelf.
- Project Oracle: Self www
Project home at Sun Microsystems Labs. Self. Public release, papers on Self, OO, and prototype programming, tutorial, education resources, mail list archive, links. [Not an active research project] Oracle: Self.
- Brazilian Merlintec Computadores Ltda: Merlin Computers www
Brazilian firm founded to advance Self language, Computadores Ltda: Merlin Computers, Self-R OS, and computers using Self. News, company information, products, technology. Sponsors of SelFest 2000, São Carlos, Brazil. English, Português. Merlintec Computadores Ltda: Merlin Computers.
- Port Self on Linux www
Port of Self language from SunOS to i386+ PCs: Linux, Linux, and Smalltalk/V for Windows 2.0; descriptions, downloads, links. [Open Source, GPL] Self on Linux.
- Brief The Slate Programming Language www
Brief article related to developers, Slate Programming Language, announcements, and programming; many forum comments. [Slashdot] The Slate Programming Language.
- Language-OS Slate www
Language-OS based on CLOS, Slate, Self, Smalltalk; Smalltalk syntax; libraries inspired by Common Lisp, Dylan, Strongtalk (strong typing). Descriptions, programming manual, tutorials, summaries, bulletin board Swiki, CVS. [Open Source, LGPL] Slate.
- Mail Yahoo Groups: Self-interest www
Mail list and archive for discussing Self programming language. Yahoo Groups: Self-interest.
- VVM Virtual Virtual Machine www
VVM overview, Virtual Machine, history, members, projects, realizations, publications. Virtual Virtual Machine.
- Growing Bytecode www
Growing article, Bytecode, with links to many related topics. [Wikipedia, open content, GNU FDL] Bytecode.
- Compares Schizoid Classes: Of Class, Type, and Method www
Compares Java and Smalltalk, Classes: Of Class, Type, and Method, in text and table. By Rodney Bates. [ACM Queue] Schizoid Classes: Of Class, Type, and Method.
- Brief ASP vs. PHP www
Brief text compares website building languages ASP, vs. PHP, PHP on several points. [WebProNews] ASP vs. PHP.
- Suggests Using Kernel Extensions to Decrease the Latency of User-Level Communication Primitives www
Suggests solving networking and distributed systems latency via operating system extensibility; University of New Mexico Technical Report. Using Kernel Extensions to Decrease the Latency of User-Level Communication Primitives.
- Brief Extensible Operating Systems www
Brief description, Operating Systems, and on-site links to descriptions of Choices, Exokernel, GLUnix, VINO, SPIN. Extensible Operating Systems.
- The Crush/BRiX: An Experimental Language/OS Pair www
Crush/BRiX: An Experimental Language/OS Pair.
- Fast, BRiX: SourceForge www
Fast, SourceForge, single privilege, single address space, preemptive multithreaded, persistent, data-centric, secure, multiuser OS, with safe language, reconfigurable graphical interface. BRiX: SourceForge.
- Morphic's Where is Squeak Headed? www
Morphic's home now, Squeak Headed?, as a class-based implementation, in a new, open source, graphics model for Smalltalk, based on the Morphic interface to Self. Much simpler and yet more general than the model used in many other object oriented languages: MVC. Where is Squeak Headed?.
- A Janak on Morphic UI www
A few useful tips for once you get going, Morphic UI, and a bit of opinion/critique. Janak on Morphic UI.
- Multiprocessor Renaissance www
Multiprocessor OO OS purely designed and implemented in object-oriented techniques, Renaissance, to give application programs transparent access to system and remote objects distributed in a network of machines. OO programming is an ideal approach for building distributed systems. Runs on Sun SPARC, Encore Multimax multiprocessor. Renaissance.
- Goal: Maruti www
Goal: create an environment for developing and deploying critical applications with hard real-time constraints in a reactive environment. Maruti. Such applications must be able to execute on a platform of distributed and heterogeneous resources, and operate continuously in the presence of faults. Maruti.
- Diverse Smalltalk Solutions 2001 Trip Report www
Diverse opinions and debate, Solutions 2001 Trip Report, many useful points on Squeak, VisualAge, Dolphin, refactoring, Extreme Programming, Java, LISP, and Objective-C. [Slashdot] Smalltalk Solutions 2001 Trip Report.
- Nearly Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd. www
Nearly 500 pages of Smalltalk: experience, Smalltalk Consulting Ltd., real world experiences, stories, OOPLSA trip reports, information on Smalltalk garbage collection theory, directory for consultants. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd..
- Alexa: Self Smalltalk
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Self Smalltalk
- DMOZ: Self Smalltalk
dmoz.org Directory: Self Smalltalk