Squeak was all Smalltalk-80 when new, in 1996. It is still mostly an implementation of modified Smalltalk-80, but in some ways it is a somewhat different language, no longer an orthodox Smalltalk, and it is changing and evolving. In its first several years: 1) The code base was almost fully rewritten, parts of it several times. 2) Squeak's leaders have ceased work on the standard Smalltalk user interface, Model-View-Controller (MVC), which is used in other Smalltalks, and Java, and have moved to the Self language's display tree-based Morphic User Interface, which they are developing beyond what it was in Self. Squeak's leaders will work no more in or on MVC, but only in and on Morphic, or something better. Squeak Smalltalk Languages Programming Computers.
The Squeak programming language is a dialect of Smalltalk. It is object-oriented, class-based, and reflective . (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: The Squeak programming language is a dialect of Smalltalk. It is object-oriented, class-based, and reflective.
- Alice (software) - Alice is an open-source object-based educational programming language with an integrated development environment. Alice uses a drag and drop environment to create computer animations using 3D models.
- Croquet Project - The Croquet Project was a software project intended to promote the continued development of the Croquet open source software development kit to create and deliver collaborative multi-user online applications.
- Pharo - Pharo is an open source dynamic and reflective language inspired from the programming language and environment Smalltalk. Pharo offers strong live programming features such as immediate object manipulation, live update, and hot recompilation.
- Seaside (software) - Seaside is computer software, a web framework to develop web applications in the programming language Smalltalk. It is distributed as free and open-source software under an MIT License.
- Disney technology
- Multi-paradigm programming languages
- Programming languages created by women
- Dynamic programming languages
- Smalltalk programming language family
- Class-based programming languages
- High-level programming languages
- Squeak.org www
Free, Squeak.org, open source, open research, super portable, new Smalltalk-80-based language, written in itself, by Smalltalk's inventors, the (nomadic) original Xerox PARC, Alan Kay team, now founding the Viewpoints Research Institute. Runs on 22+ platforms, hardware and OS. "Next to universal access, malleability is the prime figure of merit for Squeak. It is our intention for Squeak to evolve." Now hybridized with the Self language's Morphic User Interface Toolkit.
- Squeakland www
More than any website so far, Squeakland, this one implements the largest piece of the original Xerox PARC Learning Research Group's vision for programming and education. Free downloads: run Squeak from in a Web browser (free plugin), software, program sharing/exchange areas, Alan Kay essays.
- Swiki-like MuSwiki www
Swiki-like system using Morphic objects instead of HTML, MuSwiki, pages look the same in any browser, content can contain arbitrary Smalltalk code behind the scenes. MuSwiki.
- Offers OOPSLA 1999 trip report www
Offers links on Java blues, 1999 trip report, VM workshop, Sqeak, world dominance and Smalltalk X. OOPSLA 1999 trip report.
- Weblog Squeak Everyday www
Weblog on many related topics, Everyday, by Takashi Yamamiya. Squeak Everyday.
- New MathMorphs www
New project where we combine Mathematics and Smalltalk. MathMorphs. Our goal: explore and promote use of Squeak and Morphic as a major tool in mathematics work. MathMorphs.
- Many FTP site: USA, UIUC Squeak goodies library www
Many system extensions, site: USA, UIUC Squeak goodies library, applications. FTP site: USA, UIUC Squeak goodies library.
- Fast Who's Who www
Fast growing (over 160) list of Squeak's community. Who's Who.
- Medium The Mouse that Squeaked www
Medium size story describes early days, Mouse that Squeaked, hopes, for Smalltalk and Squeak. [Wired News] The Mouse that Squeaked.
- Information Squeak PBwiki www
Information and projects, PBwiki, place to discuss Squeak, and eToys and Tweak scripting languages. Squeak PBwiki.
- Comanche Swiki Swiki www
Comanche an open-source web server for Squeak. Swiki. Swiki is a popular implementation of Ward Cunningham's WikiWikiWeb (Squeak + Wiki = Swiki) that runs under Comanche. Both Comanche and Swiki are implemented by Mark Guzdial's Collaborative Software Laboratory at Georgia Tech. Swiki FAQ. List of Comanche Swikis. Swiki Swiki.
- Weblog The Hitchhiker's Guide to ... www
Weblog on Squeak, Hitchhiker's Guide to ..., Smalltalk, and related topics: Croquet, Plopp, Seaside, some Java, T-shirts. By Torsten Bergmann. The Hitchhiker's Guide to ....
- Squeak Swiki about Squeak www
Squeak Wiki 2. about Squeak. Mark Guzdial's Squeak Wiki Server, written in Squeak; at Georgia Tech. Swiki about Squeak.
- FTP ThingLab for Squeak www
FTP listing of files and Squeak samples. ThingLab for Squeak.
- Descriptions, Squeak: The Great Return www
Descriptions, The Great Return, free goodies, links, and the fascinating 'Squeak Scale: Let it Grow: Brief Comparison of Class Library'. English, Nihongo. By Satoshi Nishihara. Squeak: The Great Return.
- Report OOPSLA 2000 Trip Report www
Report by Squeaker John Macintosh includes coverage of Camp Smalltalk 3 (CS3). OOPSLA 2000 Trip Report.
- Mail Yahoo Groups: Squeak www
Mail archive and discussion group. Yahoo Groups: Squeak.
- By The Future of Squeak www
By Dan Shafer, Future of Squeak, The WeTalk Network, Inc. Chapter from book; speculates on how the developers get from where Squeak was to Alan Kay's final Dynabook vision. The Future of Squeak.
- Hans-Martin Squeak www
Hans-Martin Mosner's Squeak resources. Squeak.
- New Squeakersweb www
New Georgia Tech Squeakers (students) describe their new projects, Squeakersweb, from multimedia authoring to advanced Swiki types; and staff list. Funders: National Science Foundation, Siemens, Al West Technology Fund. Squeakersweb.
- Focus: Impara GmbH www
Focus: playful learning; technology and products for media authoring, GmbH, mainly for training, edutainment; involves learning environments, collaborations, computer games; multimedia tools for school and private use, needing no training or programming knowledge. Impara GmbH.
- By Exquisite Computing www
By Paul Bissex. Computing. Brief article describing Squeak. [Wired 7.07] Exquisite Computing.
- Information Squeaking www
Information for novices on how to get up to speed in Smalltalk. Squeaking. Mostly a collection of prized mailing list notes, some small hacks. Squeaking.
- List Swikis on coweb.cc www
List of over 40 Swikis at Georgia Tech, coweb.cc, all run on Squeak Comanche Web server. Swikis on coweb.cc.
- By Squeak: Open Personal Computing and Multimedia www
By Mark J. Open Personal Computing and Multimedia. Guzdial, Kimberly M. Rose; Prentice Hall, 2002, ISBN 0130280917. Draws on Squeak community, explores digital music and sound, advanced user interfaces, 3-D graphics, Flash animation, virtual machine building. [Prentice Hall] Squeak: Open Personal Computing and Multimedia.
- By Squeak: Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia Applications www
By Mark Guzdial; Prentice Hall, Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia Applications, 2000, ISBN 0130280283. For sophomore-senior courses in object-oriented programming or comparative languages where book on OO language is needed; focus: basics, compelling case studies. [Prentice Hall] Squeak: Object-Oriented Design with Multimedia Applications.
- Home Parrotcode www
- Growing Bytecode www
Growing article, Bytecode, with links to many related topics. [Wikipedia, open content, GNU FDL] Bytecode.
- Interactive Noobeed www
Interactive geomatic object-oriented language for spatial modeling, Noobeed, image processing, remote sensing, digital photogrammetry, geographic information system (GIS), geodesy, and surveying and mapping. Noobeed.
- Experimental Kapsel www
Experimental object-oriented language. Kapsel. Looks and feels much like original Smalltalk, adds features to specify access to object detail. Kapsel.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia: Croquet Project www
Encyclopedia article, Croquet Project, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia: Croquet Project.
- Largest, Squeak Links www
Largest, Links, most , categorized link list on Squeak. English, Nihongo. Squeak Links.
- Brief Internet Smalltalk Resources www
Brief list: archives (FTP, Smalltalk Resources, base page, comp.lang.smalltalk), FAQ. Internet Smalltalk Resources.
- Stanford A Caching Model of Operating System Kernel Functionality www
Stanford Cache Kernel, Caching Model of Operating System Kernel Functionality, supervisor-mode component of V++ OS; caches system objects (threads, address spaces) to raise performance; microkernel alternative, performance equals normal monolithic OSs, yet gives application-level control of system resources, more modularity, scalability, smaller size, means of fault containment. A Caching Model of Operating System Kernel Functionality.
- Suggests Using Kernel Extensions to Decrease the Latency of User-Level Communication Primitives www
Suggests solving networking and distributed systems latency via operating system extensibility; University of New Mexico Technical Report. Using Kernel Extensions to Decrease the Latency of User-Level Communication Primitives.
- Weblog Thin Air www
Weblog by Smalltalk programmer, Air, uses mostly VisualWorks, Squeak, many topics covered. Thin Air.
- Much Bytesmiths Smalltalk Information www
Much Smalltalk information: full text of many publications and tutorial slides; description of a suite of team productivity tools for VisualWorks Smalltalk and ENVY/Developer, Smalltalk Information, The Bytesmiths Toolkit; information on Smalltalk consulting services. One of the Web's earliest Smalltalk sites: begun 1994. Bytesmiths Smalltalk Information.
- Alexa: Squeak Smalltalk
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Squeak Smalltalk
- DMOZ: Squeak Smalltalk
dmoz.org Directory: Squeak Smalltalk