Information about writing operating systems, including tutorials and research projects. Sites with general information about particular operating systems are in Computers-Software-Operating_Systems. Operating Systems Programming Computers.
An operating system ( OS ) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An operating system is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs.
- Antivirus software - Antivirus or anti-virus software, sometimes known as anti-malware software, is computer software used to prevent, detect and remove malicious software.
- Hypervisor - A hypervisor or virtual machine monitor is computer software, firmware or hardware that creates and runs virtual machines. A computer on which a hypervisor runs one or more virtual machines is called a host machine, and each virtual machine is called a guest machine.
- Interruptible operating system - An interruptible operating system is an operating system with ability to handle multiple interrupts concurrently, or in other words, which allow interrupts to be interrupted.
- Live CD - A live CD is a complete bootable computer installation including operating system which runs directly from a CD-ROM or similar storage device into a computer's memory, rather than loading from a hard disk drive.
- Glossary of operating systems terms
- Microcontroller - A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit. In modern terminology, it is similar to, but less sophisticated than, a system on a chip or SoC; an SoC may include a microcontroller as one of its components.
- Operating systems
- A Pierre's Library www
A resource center for PC operating system developers. Library. The aim is to provide reliable documents about software and hardware standards under the aspect of official specifications as well as more friendly documents. Pierre's Library.
- Includes The Operating Systems Resource Center www
Includes information about booting, Operating Systems Resource Center, file systems, memory, architecture, and interfacing with other devices. The Operating Systems Resource Center.
- Tutorial ACM Special Interest Group for Operating Systems www
Tutorial for writing an operating system and links to group members' projects. ACM Special Interest Group for Operating Systems.
- Interactive Inter-Process Communication Tutorial www
Interactive tutorial about message passing, Communication Tutorial, semaphores, and monitors. Inter-Process Communication Tutorial.
- A Yet Another Object Oriented Operating System www
A project of developing new object oriented operating system. Yet Another Object Oriented Operating System.
- OS Bona Fide OS Development www
OS development information and tutorials. Fide OS Development. Links. Bona Fide OS Development.
- Notes Operating System Lecture Notes www
Notes on operating system theory, System Lecture Notes, source code of describing actual construction of operating system in C programming language. Also OS construction related links to books, notes, tutorials, and news groups. Operating System Lecture Notes.
- OS OSDev www
OS Development RSS News, OSDev, forums, and the OSDev Wiki including the largest listing of ameatur operating system projects on the internet. OSDev.
- A visopsys OS Development www
A collection of source code, Development, information, and links related to general Operating Systems Development on the Web. visopsys OS Development.
- Historic Porting UNIX to the 386 www
Historic article series appearing in 1991 that started the open source operating system movement. Porting UNIX to the 386.
- By The Basic Kernel Source Code Secrets www
By William Jolitz and Lynne Jolitz (authors of 386BSD OS). Basic Kernel Source Code Secrets. Good book to learn the kernel internals of 386 architecture operating systems. The Basic Kernel Source Code Secrets.
- The Intel Pentium 4 Manuals www
The full documentation of system management from Intel for the IA-32 architecture. Intel Pentium 4 Manuals.
- Links DBLP Bibliography: Operating Systems www
Links to many operating systems journals on the web. DBLP Bibliography: Operating Systems.
- An Agnix www
An open source project, Agnix, which has been founded to provide an educational, network operating system kernel. Agnix.
- Includes Virtual Memory Tutorial www
Includes discussion of virtual memory. Virtual Memory Tutorial.
- An The OSKit Project www
An open source set of libraries that can be used as building blocks for an operating system for x86. OSKit Project. Includes documentation and publications. The OSKit Project.
- Resources KernelNewbies.org www
Resources for programmers new to kernel hacking. KernelNewbies.org. Example code, FAQs, utilities for debugging modules. KernelNewbies.org.
- An Ace Operating System Project www
An open source operating system for X86 architecture. Operating System Project. It also contains documents, specifications explaining various hardware. Ace Operating System Project.
- New Cefarix OS www
New project, OS, intended as stable, fast, secure, reliable, easy to use, 32-bit protected mode OS for x86 and later PowerPC systems, open source, many features, graphical user interface (GUI), to replace Microsoft Windows, all versions. Cefarix OS.
- Government China to Invest in Linux-based Software www
Government plans to put financial effort into Linux-based software; may rival Microsoft Windows in one of world's fastest-growing technology markets, Invest in Linux-based Software, official says. [CNN.com] China to Invest in Linux-based Software.
- Unbiased How Stuff Works: Operating Systems www
Unbiased enlightening tutorial with impartial description of how OSs work, Stuff Works: Operating Systems, and many related links. How Stuff Works: Operating Systems.
- The Convergence International www
The non-Wintel user group, International, supporting Acorn, Amiga, Apple, ARM, Be, NCs, PowerPC, Psion, Unix and other alternative operating systems. Services include a non-Wintel news summary. Convergence International.
- Online Wikipedia - Computer Programming www
Online encyclopedia article. Wikipedia - Computer Programming.
- Alexa: Operating Systems Programming
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Operating Systems Programming
- DMOZ: Operating Systems Programming
dmoz.org Directory: Operating Systems Programming