Operating systems (OSs) do many things: it is the block of software that runs in the memory of a computer which mediates between the hardware below and application(s) above; provides consistent access to various hardware for user programs such as applications and utilities; multiplexes hardware resources between two or more processes, programs, users; provides some common services to all software via an application programming (or protocol) interface (API); allocates memory and storage; schedules tasks. On this page, OSs are arranged in three groups and levels: 1) Top group: issues spanning multiple unrelated OSs. 2) Middle group: types or classes of OS, or OSs for which there are more than one instance of an OS of this name-type, an OS family. Operating Systems Software Computers.
An operating system ( OS ) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An operating system is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. All computer programs, excluding firmware, require an operating system to function.
- Antivirus software - Antivirus or anti-virus software, sometimes known as anti-malware software, is computer software used to prevent, detect and remove malicious software.
- Hypervisor - A hypervisor or virtual machine monitor is computer software, firmware or hardware that creates and runs virtual machines. A computer on which a hypervisor runs one or more virtual machines is called a host machine, and each virtual machine is called a guest machine.
- Interruptible operating system - An interruptible operating system is an operating system with ability to handle multiple interrupts concurrently, or in other words, which allow interrupts to be interrupted.
- Live CD - A live CD, live DVD, or live disc is a complete bootable computer installation including operating system which runs in a computer's memory, rather than loading from a hard disk drive; the CD itself is read-only.
- Glossary of operating systems terms
- Microcontroller - A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit. In modern terminology, it is a system on a chip or SoC. A microcontroller contains one or more CPUs along with memory and programmable input/output peripherals.
- Operating systems
- IBM AIX: Unix Operating System www
IBM home page for AIX; many IBM AIX resources, AIX: Unix Operating System, product and service descriptions, links.
- Unbiased How Stuff Works: Operating Systems www
Unbiased enlightening tutorial with impartial description of how OSs work, Stuff Works: Operating Systems, and many related links. How Stuff Works: Operating Systems.
- Growing Operating System www
Growing article, System, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia. Operating System.
- Weblog OSNews: Exploring the Future of Computing www
Weblog style online magazine on operating systems and computing environments. Exploring the Future of Computing. Daily updates, reader forum with many comments. OSNews: Exploring the Future of Computing.
- Statistics Internet Operating System Counter www
Statistics on Internet OS use, Operating System Counter, WWW, FTP, and News servers. Over 940,000 hosts checked in this 1999 survey. Internet Operating System Counter.
- The Convergence International www
The non-Wintel user group, International, supporting Acorn, Amiga, Apple, ARM, Be, NCs, PowerPC, Psion, Unix and other alternative operating systems. Services include a non-Wintel news summary. Convergence International.
- Automatic ACCORDS Project www
Automatic Configuration and Monitoring of Component-Based Distributed Systems. Project. From Universities of São Paulo, and of Campinas, Brazil. Part of 2K effort. ACCORDS Project.
- Component-based 2K www
Component-based network-centric OS for the next millennium: distributed, 2K, adaptable, designed for frequent change, from the Systems Software Research Group, and the Multimedia Operating Systems and Networking Group, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. 2K.
- Comparison Unix on a Mac? Really? www
Comparison Review of A/UX and MachTEN. a Mac? Really?. Unix on a Mac? Really?.
- Book. Server Administration with A/UX www
Server Administration with A/UX.
- Archive Bull AIX Freeware www
Archive of freeware and shareware for AIX (R) 4. Bull AIX Freeware.
- A Multi User System Security www
A low level security system for the Amiga, User System Security, consisting of a new filesystem and a library. It implements a security system similar to that of UNIX. Multi User System Security.
- MC1 MC1 Amiga www
MC1 Amiga are an on-line store trying to make it easier for Amiga users to get hardware. Amiga. MC1 stocks new SCSI, used Amiga parts and some software. MC1 have a full list of Australian Amiga User groups and Amiga dealers in the links page. MC1 Amiga.
- Powerful Amoeba www
Powerful free, Amoeba, open source, microkernel-based system that turns a collection of workstations or single-board computers into a transparent distributed system. Used in academia, industry, and government for many years. Runs on many platforms. Amoeba.
- Part Bibliography on the Distributed Operating System Amoeba www
Part of the Computer Science Bibliographies: search, the Distributed Operating System Amoeba, browsing, statistics. Bibliography on the Distributed Operating System Amoeba.
- An FutureOS www
An alternative Operating System for the Amstrad computers CPC6128 and CPC464/6128plus, FutureOS, coded in Z80 Assembler. FutureOS.
- Amstrad Software for Amstrad CP/M www
Software for Amstrad CP/M.
- Alexa: Operating Systems Software
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Operating Systems Software
- DMOZ: Operating Systems Software
dmoz.org Directory: Operating Systems Software