Capability, or capability-based, operating systems (OSs) are those which use, and are often structured via, capabilities (in some systems called a key), for security. Many OSs, such as Unix types, or later versions of Microsoft Windows, use privileges for security. Privileges apply to users, and are course-grained. Capabilities are somewhat similar, but apply to objects within the software environment, and are fine-grained. A capability is a communicable, unforgeable token of authority. It refers to a value that references an object, along with an associated set of access rights. User programs on capability OSs must use a capability to access an object; they are designed to directly share capabilities with each other according to the principle of least privilege, and with the OS infrastructure needed to make such transactions efficient and secure. Capability Operating Systems Software Computers.
- Capability Maturity Model Integration A process level improvement training and appraisal program.
- Capability Maturity Model A development model created after a study of data collected from organizations that contracted...
- Capability Brown An English landscape architect.
- Capability (systems engineering) A Capability, in the systems engineering sense, is defined as the ability to execute a specified...
- Capability-based addressing A scheme used by some computers to control access to memory.
- Dynamic capabilities The capability of an organization to purposefully adapt an organization's resource base.
- Ability Meanings See related meanings for the word 'Ability'.
- Henry Capability-Based Computer Systems www
Henry M. Computer Systems. Levy; Digital Press, 1984, ISBN 0932376223. Thorough survey and description of early capability and object based hardware and software systems. Out of print, available as free download, PDF format. Capability-Based Computer Systems.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia: Capability-based Security www
Encyclopedia article, Capability-based Security, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia: Capability-based Security.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia: Capability-based Addressing www
Encyclopedia article, Capability-based Addressing, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia: Capability-based Addressing.
- Developing Combex, Inc. www
Developing capability secure distributed computing systems, Inc., prototype desktop via DARPA research grant; personnel represent most of E expertise from over $11M of research and development effort over 6 years. Descriptions, papers, contacts, personnel. Combex, Inc..
- Consulting Mark S. Miller: Caplet Security www
Consulting company. Miller: Caplet Security. Caplet means a capability applet, main themes of E and EROS. Miller is an influential programmer who has worked on Xanadu, Agorics, capability systems, and genetic algorithms. Mark S. Miller: Caplet Security.
- By Objects on the Web: Designing, Building, and Deploying Object-Oriented Applications for the Web www
By Ron Ben-Naton. Objects on the Web: Designing, Building, and Deploying Object-Oriented Applications for the Web.
- Simple What is Object-Oriented Software: An Introduction www
Simple explanations for object newbies. What is Object-Oriented Software: An Introduction.
- Growing Coyotos www
Growing article, Coyotos, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia. Coyotos.
- A Verifying Operating System Security www
A confined program is one unable to leak information to an unauthorized party or modify unauthorized resources, Operating System Security, an essential feature of any secure component based system. A proof of correctness of EROS architecture for confinement. [ResearchIndex] Verifying Operating System Security.
- Short Overview of Intel 432, 1975-1985 www
Short critique and defense, Intel 432, 1975-1985, with references; by Mark Smotherman. Overview of Intel 432, 1975-1985.
- Growing Intel iAPX 432 www
Growing article, iAPX 432, with links to many related topics. [Wikipedia] Intel iAPX 432.
- The Convergence International www
The non-Wintel user group, International, supporting Acorn, Amiga, Apple, ARM, Be, NCs, PowerPC, Psion, Unix and other alternative operating systems. Services include a non-Wintel news summary. Convergence International.
- Growing Operating System www
Growing article, System, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia. Operating System.
- Alexa: Capability Operating Systems
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Capability Operating Systems
- DMOZ: Capability Operating Systems
dmoz.org Directory: Capability Operating Systems