Archy (formerly The Humane Environment, THE) is an operating system (OS), scalable interface for computers of many types, and a text editor. Coded in the Python programming language, it has many ergonomically determined productivity and usability advantages over conventional Graphic User Interfaces (GUIs) using Windows, Icons, Mouse, Pull down menus (WIMP). The ideas behind Archy are the result of decades of research, study, and thought, fully explained in a book about human interface design, The Humane Interface, by famous Apple Computer interface pioneer, original creator of the Macintosh, Jef Raskin. He originally led the project, but tragically died of pancreatic cancer, at age 61, 9 March 1943 - 26 February 2005, a Saturday. Archy Desktop Environments Graphic Subsystems Operating Systems Software Computers.
Archy is a software system whose user interface poses a radically different approach for interacting with computers with respect to traditional graphical user interfaces. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Archy is a software system whose user interface poses a radically different approach for interacting with computers with respect to traditional graphical user interfaces. Designed by human-computer interface expert Jef Raskin, it embodies his ideas and established results about human-centered design described in his book The Humane Interface. These ideas include content persistence, modelessness, a nucleus with commands instead of applications, navigation using incremental text search, and a zooming user interface. The system was being implemented at the Raskin Center for Humane Interfaces under Raskin's leadership. Since his death in February 2005 the project was continued by his team, which later shifted focus to the Ubiquity extension for the Firefox browser.
- Ubiquity , a Firefox extension based on the same principles as Archy created by Mozilla Labs with Aza Raskin in the design team.
- Jef Raskin
- User interfaces
- Python www
Official site for the interpreted, Python, interactive, object-oriented, extensible programming language. Includes news, documentation, free downloads, and developer information.
- Clear Archy www
Clear description of Archy (was THE), Archy, divided into interface components. [Wikipedia] Archy.
- By Down With GUIs www
By Jef Raskin. With GUIs. Article stressing that GUIs are not human-compatible. As long as we hang on to interfaces as we now know them, computers will remain inherently frustrating, upsetting, stressful. [Wired 1.06] Down With GUIs.
- Brief In Appreciation of Jef Raskin www
Brief praise of Raskin, Appreciation of Jef Raskin, and critique of Archy zooming interface, with references, by usability expert Don Norman who was at Apple with Raskin, during the early years. In Appreciation of Jef Raskin.
- SourceForge Jef Raskin's Humane Environment www
SourceForge site, Raskin's Humane Environment, with description, download, bug reports, some old news. Jef Raskin's Humane Environment.
- Summary osOpinion: Raskin on 'Raskin on OS X' www
Summary of newspaper story, Raskin on 'Raskin on OS X', useful forum comments. [Linux Today] osOpinion: Raskin on 'Raskin on OS X'.
- By The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems www
By Jef Raskin; Addison-Wesley, Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems, 2000, ISBN 0201379376. Guide to interactive system design, reflects author experience and vision, shows many extant interfaces are dead ends, making computers easier to use needs new approaches. [publisher website] The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems.
- Summary Raleigh News & Observer: Keeping Interface Simple www
Summary of newspaper story, News & Observer: Keeping Interface Simple, useful forum comments. [Linux Today] Raleigh News & Observer: Keeping Interface Simple.
- Book The Humane Interface www
Book review of The Human Interface: New Directions for Interface Design, Humane Interface, by Jef Raskin, and the usual mass of forum comments. Many varied opinions. [Slashdot] The Humane Interface.
- Brief The Humane Environment www
Brief announcement of first THE (Archy) release, Humane Environment, with over 50 forum comments. [OSNews.com] The Humane Environment.
- By THE Key to User-Friendly Computers? www
By Alex Salkever. Key to User-Friendly Computers?. Raskin helped design Apple's classic user interface. He is working on a new system that could be a big improvement. Brief accessible analysis. [BusinessWeek] THE Key to User-Friendly Computers?.
- Brief The Humane Environment www
Brief news story, Humane Environment, and forum comments in great abundance, more than usual. Many varied opinions. [Slashdot] The Humane Environment.
- A Bluefish www
A programmer's HTML editor written using GTK, Bluefish, designed to save the experienced webmaster some keystrokes. (C) [GNU/Linux, Unix] Bluefish.
- A AEditor www
A programmer's editor, AEditor, written entirely in Ruby and thus easy to extend with Ruby customizations. Summary of the features, developers weblog, information about the development and download and installation instructions. AEditor.
- Goal: Maruti www
Goal: create an environment for developing and deploying critical applications with hard real-time constraints in a reactive environment. Maruti. Such applications must be able to execute on a platform of distributed and heterogeneous resources, and operate continuously in the presence of faults. Maruti.
- Multiprocessor Renaissance www
Multiprocessor OO OS purely designed and implemented in object-oriented techniques, Renaissance, to give application programs transparent access to system and remote objects distributed in a network of machines. OO programming is an ideal approach for building distributed systems. Runs on Sun SPARC, Encore Multimax multiprocessor. Renaissance.
- Plans Report: Japan, Korea, China to Break Windows Ties www
Plans for governments and private sector firms of China, Japan, Korea, China to Break Windows Ties, Japan, South Korea, to jointly work together to develop new OS to rival Microsoft Windows to be unveiled later this week, according to 2 Japanese newspaper reports. [InfoWorld] Report: Japan, Korea, China to Break Windows Ties.
- Resource FreeOS.com www
Resource Center for Free Operating Systems: articles, FreeOS.com, documentation, download sites, news, links, and anything related to all Free OSs. FreeOS.com.
- Eumel A Persistent System in Real Use: Experiences of the First 13 Years www
Eumel and successor L3, Persistent System in Real Use: Experiences of the First 13 Years, OSs made by GMD, have been used for 13 and 4 years respectively, for production in business, education. Over 2000 Eumel, 500 L3 have shipped since 1979, 1988. Both rely on persistence, with fault-surviving. Description, links. [ResearchIndex, CiteSeer] A Persistent System in Real Use: Experiences of the First 13 Years.
- A Python Meetup Day www
A free service that coordinates local Python developers meeting in person, Meetup Day, every month on the second Thursday of the month. Python Meetup Day.
- Growing Jef Raskin www
Growing biography, Raskin, with links to related topics. [Wikipedia] Jef Raskin.
- Two Articles from Jef Raskin about the History of the Macintosh www
Two sizable documents: Recollections of the Macintosh Project, from Jef Raskin about the History of the Macintosh, More Historical Facts. Links to Bruce Horn letters. Articles from Jef Raskin about the History of the Macintosh.
- Article Hooray for Bluecurve www
Article praises, for Bluecurve, analyses Red Hat's new user interface in their Linux 8.0. [Linux Review] Hooray for Bluecurve.
- Surprisingly The GUI Gallery www
Surprisingly large and thorough Graphical User Interface list, GUI Gallery, with timeline, screenshots, downloads, links. Very useful resource for students of computer interfaces. The GUI Gallery.
- Alexa: Archy Desktop Environments
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Archy Desktop Environments
- DMOZ: Archy Desktop Environments
dmoz.org Directory: Archy Desktop Environments