Archy (formerly The Humane Environment, THE) is an operating system (OS), scalable interface for computers of many types, and a text editor. Coded in the Python programming language, it has many ergonomically determined productivity and usability advantages over conventional Graphic User Interfaces (GUIs) using Windows, Icons, Mouse, Pull down menus (WIMP). The ideas behind Archy are the result of decades of research, study, and thought, fully explained in a book about human interface design, The Humane Interface, by famous Apple Computer interface pioneer, original creator of the Macintosh, Jef Raskin. He originally led the project, but tragically died of pancreatic cancer, at age 61, 9 March 1943 - 26 February 2005, a Saturday. Archy Desktop Environments Graphic Subsystems Operating Systems Software Computers.
Archy is a software system whose user interface poses a radically different approach for interacting with computers with respect to traditional graphical user interfaces. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Archy is a software system whose user interface poses a radically different approach for interacting with computers with respect to traditional graphical user interfaces. Designed by human-computer interface expert Jef Raskin, it embodies his ideas and established results about human-centered design described in his book The Humane Interface. These ideas include content persistence, modelessness, a nucleus with commands instead of applications, navigation using incremental text search, and a zooming user interface. The system was being implemented at the Raskin Center for Humane Interfaces under Raskin's leadership. Since his death in February 2005 the project was continued by his team, which later shifted focus to the Ubiquity extension for the Firefox browser.
- Ubiquity , a Firefox extension based on the same principles as Archy created by Mozilla Labs with Aza Raskin in the design team.
- Jef Raskin
- User interfaces
- Python www
Official site for the interpreted, Python, interactive, object-oriented, extensible programming language. Includes news, documentation, free downloads, and developer information.
- Book The Humane Interface www
Book review of The Human Interface: New Directions for Interface Design, Humane Interface, by Jef Raskin, and the usual mass of forum comments. Many varied opinions. [Slashdot] The Humane Interface.
- Clear Archy www
Clear description of Archy (was THE), Archy, divided into interface components. [Wikipedia] Archy.
- By The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems www
By Jef Raskin; Addison-Wesley, Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems, 2000, ISBN 0201379376. Guide to interactive system design, reflects author experience and vision, shows many extant interfaces are dead ends, making computers easier to use needs new approaches. [publisher website] The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems.
- Summary osOpinion: Raskin on 'Raskin on OS X' www
Summary of newspaper story, Raskin on 'Raskin on OS X', useful forum comments. [Linux Today] osOpinion: Raskin on 'Raskin on OS X'.
- SourceForge Jef Raskin's Humane Environment www
SourceForge site, Raskin's Humane Environment, with description, download, bug reports, some old news. Jef Raskin's Humane Environment.
- Summary Raleigh News & Observer: Keeping Interface Simple www
Summary of newspaper story, News & Observer: Keeping Interface Simple, useful forum comments. [Linux Today] Raleigh News & Observer: Keeping Interface Simple.
- Brief The Humane Environment www
Brief announcement of first THE (Archy) release, Humane Environment, with over 50 forum comments. [OSNews.com] The Humane Environment.
- By THE Key to User-Friendly Computers? www
By Alex Salkever. Key to User-Friendly Computers?. Raskin helped design Apple's classic user interface. He is working on a new system that could be a big improvement. Brief accessible analysis. [BusinessWeek] THE Key to User-Friendly Computers?.
- By Down With GUIs www
By Jef Raskin. With GUIs. Article stressing that GUIs are not human-compatible. As long as we hang on to interfaces as we now know them, computers will remain inherently frustrating, upsetting, stressful. [Wired 1.06] Down With GUIs.
- Brief In Appreciation of Jef Raskin www
Brief praise of Raskin, Appreciation of Jef Raskin, and critique of Archy zooming interface, with references, by usability expert Don Norman who was at Apple with Raskin, during the early years. In Appreciation of Jef Raskin.
- Brief The Humane Environment www
Brief news story, Humane Environment, and forum comments in great abundance, more than usual. Many varied opinions. [Slashdot] The Humane Environment.
- Download, Scintilla and SciTE www
Download, and SciTE, screenshots and documentation of a free source code editing component for Win32 and GTK and an editor based on this component. Scintilla and SciTE.
- Easy Shed www
Easy to use hex editor written for Unix/Linux using ncurses, Shed, with a friendly pico-style interface. Shed.
- Portable ShagOS www
Portable object-oriented microkernel OS, ShagOS, dynamically loaded device drivers, fully redesigned and rewritten many times in C++, runs on VAX, x86. Ongoing experiment in using O-O paradigm as framework for full OS, with distributed computing as main aspect in most design decisions. ShagOS.
- Goal: Maruti www
Goal: create an environment for developing and deploying critical applications with hard real-time constraints in a reactive environment. Maruti. Such applications must be able to execute on a platform of distributed and heterogeneous resources, and operate continuously in the presence of faults. Maruti.
- Government China to Invest in Linux-based Software www
Government plans to put financial effort into Linux-based software; may rival Microsoft Windows in one of world's fastest-growing technology markets, Invest in Linux-based Software, official says. [CNN.com] China to Invest in Linux-based Software.
- Several WebRing: Free Operating Systems www
Several sites offering free OSs. WebRing: Free Operating Systems.
- Eumel A Persistent System in Real Use: Experiences of the First 13 Years www
Eumel and successor L3, Persistent System in Real Use: Experiences of the First 13 Years, OSs made by GMD, have been used for 13 and 4 years respectively, for production in business, education. Over 2000 Eumel, 500 L3 have shipped since 1979, 1988. Both rely on persistence, with fault-surviving. Description, links. [ResearchIndex, CiteSeer] A Persistent System in Real Use: Experiences of the First 13 Years.
- A Python Meetup Day www
A free service that coordinates local Python developers meeting in person, Meetup Day, every month on the second Thursday of the month. Python Meetup Day.
- Frank, Talk Time: Jef Raskin www
Frank, Time: Jef Raskin, brief interview, criticism of Macintosh, thoughts on useful user interfaces, Hypercard, progress in computing. [Guardian Unlimited] Talk Time: Jef Raskin.
- Touching UserFriendly www
Touching memorial comic, UserFriendly, features hill topped with an Apple tree. UserFriendly.
- Provides Alternative Linux Desktop Environment www
Provides C++/Java application framework. Alternative Linux Desktop Environment.
- Compares The Definitive Desktop Environment Comparison www
Compares UI and usability of several desktop environments (DEs) that are widely used, Definitive Desktop Environment Comparison, admired, reviled: Windows XP Luna, BeOS 6 (Dano/Zeta), Mac OS X Aqua, Unix KDE and GNOME. Large article with many forum comments. [OSNews.com] The Definitive Desktop Environment Comparison.
- Alexa: Archy Desktop Environments
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Archy Desktop Environments
- DMOZ: Archy Desktop Environments
dmoz.org Directory: Archy Desktop Environments