MorphOS is a microkernel-based operating system (OS) for the Pegasos hardware platform. It runs on PowerPC processors by Freescale and IBM. It supports original AmigaOS MC680x0 programs by proprietary task-based emulation, and most newer, PPC-AmigaOS programs by API wrappers. It is API-compatible with AmigaOS 3.1, but has many enhancements to make it more modern, such as a GUI based on the Magic User Interface. Source code licensing is mixed, proprietary and open source: the OS kernel is proprietary, but several other parts are open source: libraries, desktop interfaces (including the default GUI, Ambient). Development is by a core team, and contributors. MorphOS Microkernel Operating Systems Software Computers.
MorphOS is an AmigaOS -like computer operating system. It is a mixed proprietary and open source OS produced for the Pegasos PowerPC processor based computer, PowerUP accelerator equipped Amiga computers, and a series of Freescale development boards that use the Genesi firmware, including the EFIKA and mobileGT. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: MorphOS is an AmigaOS-like computer operating system. It is a mixed proprietary and open source OS produced for the Pegasos PowerPC processor based computer, PowerUP accelerator equipped Amiga computers, and a series of Freescale development boards that use the Genesi firmware, including the EFIKA and mobileGT. Since MorphOS 2.4, Apple's Mac Mini G4 is supported as well, and with the release of MorphOS 2.5 and MorphOS 2.6 the eMac and PowerMac G4 models are respectively supported. The release of MorphOS 3.2 added limited support for PowerMac G5. The core, based on the Quark microkernel, is proprietary, although several libraries and other parts are open source, such as Ambient desktop.
- MorphOS Category
- Ambient desktop - Ambient is a MUI-based desktop environment for MorphOS. Its development was started in 2001 by David Gerber. Its main goals were that it should be fully asynchronous, simple and fast. Ambient remotely resembles Workbench and Directory Opus Magellan trying to mix the best of both worlds.
- Amiga - The Amiga is a family of personal computers sold by Commodore starting in 1985. The original model was part of a wave of 16 and 32 bit computers that featured 256KB or more of RAM, mouse-based GUIs, and significantly improved graphics and audio over 8-bit systems.
- APUS - APUS stands for "Amiga Power Up System", and describes a computer comprising an Amiga computer with a Phase5 PowerUP PowerPC accelerator board.
- AROS - AROS Research Operating System is a free and open source multi media centric implementation of the AmigaOS 3.1 APIs. Designed to be portable and flexible, ports are currently available for x86-based and PowerPC-based PCs in native and hosted flavors, with other architectures in development.
- MUI - The Magic User Interface is an object-oriented system by Stefan Stuntz to generate and maintain graphical user interfaces. With the aid of a preferences program, the user of an application has the ability to customize the outfit according to personal taste.
- MorphOS software
- PowerPC operating systems
- Amiga software
- Microkernel-based operating systems
- Power.org www
Organization to develop, Power.org, enable, and promote Power CPUs as preferred open standard hardware platform for the electronics industry; to administer qualification programs for interoperability; and to speed innovation.
- Includes MorphOS: The Lightning OS www
Includes introduction, The Lightning OS, with forum comments. Enlarged version is on author website. OSNews. MorphOS: The Lightning OS.
- Information MorphOS www
Information on 3D graphics cards and programming APIs, MorphOS, free version of MorphOS for Commodore A1200, A3000, A4000 with PowerPC accelerator cards, MorphOS support registration, news. MorphOS Development Team. MorphOS.
- Weblog MorphOS-News www
Weblog format, MorphOS-News, weekly updates, archived, software links. MorphOS-News.
- Articles, Pegasos and MorphOS Area www
Articles, and MorphOS Area, documents, and programs on Pegasos computers and MorphOS; includes enlarged version of 'MorphOS, The Lightning OS', an introduction. Fulvio Peruggi. Pegasos and MorphOS Area.
- A MorphOS Software www
A collaborative software archive for this operating system. Software. Registered users can add new applications to the list and an RSS feed is provided. MorphOS Software.
- MorphOS MorphZone www
MorphOS portal: community and support, MorphZone, with news, fora, tutorials, quick help, downloads, bounties, links. MorphZone.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia: MorphOS www
Encyclopedia article, MorphOS, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia: MorphOS.
- A MorphOS Files www
A moderated repository of software for this operating system. Files. All files are hosted locally to avoid broken links. MorphOS Files.
- Home Ambient Open Source Team www
Home for MorphOS native desktop; handles program icons, Open Source Team, directory navigation, program launching, file handling, and other system management. Ambient Open Source Team.
- Software Corona Software AB www
Software company located in Sweden, Software AB, creator of popular VS SPACE system for Wang VS minicomputers. Corona Software AB.
- Government China to Invest in Linux-based Software www
Government plans to put financial effort into Linux-based software; may rival Microsoft Windows in one of world's fastest-growing technology markets, Invest in Linux-based Software, official says. [CNN.com] China to Invest in Linux-based Software.
- New Cefarix OS www
New project, OS, intended as stable, fast, secure, reliable, easy to use, 32-bit protected mode OS for x86 and later PowerPC systems, open source, many features, graphical user interface (GUI), to replace Microsoft Windows, all versions. Cefarix OS.
- Goal: MorphOS www
Goal: Provide modern functionality for a new OS layer and run most Amiga applications as efficiently as possible in a box environment with no Classic Amiga custom chips available. MorphOS.
- Mailing Yahoo Groups: AmigaOS4 www
Mailing list about Amiga OS4. Groups: AmigaOS4.X for the new AmigaOne compatible machines. Yahoo Groups: AmigaOS4.
- Growing IBM POWER www
Growing entry, POWER, with links to many related topics. [Wikipedia] IBM POWER.
- Explains Sartoris Microkernel Tutorial www
Explains about making a policy-free microkernel; multipart series. Sartoris Microkernel Tutorial.
- Page The Open Group: Advanced Research www
Page listing several research projects: microkernel OSs (MK7, Open Group: Advanced Research, MK++, AD3) and other modules (CONVERSANT, CORDS, GIPC, SHAWS). The Open Group: Advanced Research.
- Alexa: MorphOS Microkernel
Alexa Directory Top Sites: MorphOS Microkernel
- DMOZ: MorphOS Microkernel
dmoz.org Directory: MorphOS Microkernel