MorphOS is a microkernel-based operating system (OS) for the Pegasos hardware platform. It runs on PowerPC processors by Freescale and IBM. It supports original AmigaOS MC680x0 programs by proprietary task-based emulation, and most newer, PPC-AmigaOS programs by API wrappers. It is API-compatible with AmigaOS 3.1, but has many enhancements to make it more modern, such as a GUI based on the Magic User Interface. Source code licensing is mixed, proprietary and open source: the OS kernel is proprietary, but several other parts are open source: libraries, desktop interfaces (including the default GUI, Ambient). Development is by a core team, and contributors. MorphOS Microkernel Operating Systems Software Computers.
MorphOS is an AmigaOS -like computer operating system. It is a mixed proprietary and open source OS produced for the Pegasos PowerPC processor based computer, PowerUP accelerator equipped Amiga computers, and a series of Freescale development boards that use the Genesi firmware, including the EFIKA and mobileGT. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: MorphOS is an AmigaOS-like computer operating system. It is a mixed proprietary and open source OS produced for the Pegasos PowerPC processor based computer, PowerUP accelerator equipped Amiga computers, and a series of Freescale development boards that use the Genesi firmware, including the EFIKA and mobileGT. Since MorphOS 2.4, Apple's Mac Mini G4 is supported as well, and with the release of MorphOS 2.5 and MorphOS 2.6 the eMac and PowerMac G4 models are respectively supported. The release of MorphOS 3.2 added limited support for PowerMac G5. The core, based on the Quark microkernel, is proprietary, although several libraries and other parts are open source, such as Ambient desktop.
- MorphOS Category
- Ambient desktop - Ambient is a MUI-based desktop environment for MorphOS. Its development was started in 2001 by David Gerber. Its main goals were that it should be fully asynchronous, simple and fast. Ambient remotely resembles Workbench and Directory Opus Magellan trying to mix the best of both worlds.
- Amiga - The Amiga is a family of personal computers sold by Commodore starting in 1985. The original model was part of a wave of 16 and 32 bit computers that featured 256KB or more of RAM, mouse-based GUIs, and significantly improved graphics and audio over 8-bit systems.
- APUS - APUS stands for "Amiga Power Up System", and describes a computer comprising an Amiga computer with a Phase5 PowerUP PowerPC accelerator board.
- AROS - AROS Research Operating System is a free and open source multi media centric implementation of the AmigaOS 3.1 APIs. Designed to be portable and flexible, ports are currently available for x86-based and PowerPC-based PCs in native and hosted flavors, with other architectures in development.
- MUI - The Magic User Interface is an object-oriented system by Stefan Stuntz to generate and maintain graphical user interfaces. With the aid of a preferences program, the user of an application has the ability to customize the outfit according to personal taste.
- MorphOS software
- PowerPC operating systems
- Amiga software
- Microkernel-based operating systems
- Weblog MorphOS-News www
Weblog format, MorphOS-News, weekly updates, archived, software links. MorphOS-News.
- Home Ambient Open Source Team www
Home for MorphOS native desktop; handles program icons, Open Source Team, directory navigation, program launching, file handling, and other system management. Ambient Open Source Team.
- Information MorphOS www
Information on 3D graphics cards and programming APIs, MorphOS, free version of MorphOS for Commodore A1200, A3000, A4000 with PowerPC accelerator cards, MorphOS support registration, news. MorphOS Development Team. MorphOS.
- A MorphOS Software www
A collaborative software archive for this operating system. Software. Registered users can add new applications to the list and an RSS feed is provided. MorphOS Software.
- A MorphOS Files www
A moderated repository of software for this operating system. Files. All files are hosted locally to avoid broken links. MorphOS Files.
- Articles, Pegasos and MorphOS Area www
Articles, and MorphOS Area, documents, and programs on Pegasos computers and MorphOS; includes enlarged version of 'MorphOS, The Lightning OS', an introduction. Fulvio Peruggi. Pegasos and MorphOS Area.
- MorphOS MorphZone www
MorphOS portal: community and support, MorphZone, with news, fora, tutorials, quick help, downloads, bounties, links. MorphZone.
- Includes MorphOS: The Lightning OS www
Includes introduction, The Lightning OS, with forum comments. Enlarged version is on author website. OSNews. MorphOS: The Lightning OS.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia: MorphOS www
Encyclopedia article, MorphOS, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia: MorphOS.
- Software Corona Software AB www
Software company located in Sweden, Software AB, creator of popular VS SPACE system for Wang VS minicomputers. Corona Software AB.
- Plans Report: Japan, Korea, China to Break Windows Ties www
Plans for governments and private sector firms of China, Japan, Korea, China to Break Windows Ties, Japan, South Korea, to jointly work together to develop new OS to rival Microsoft Windows to be unveiled later this week, according to 2 Japanese newspaper reports. [InfoWorld] Report: Japan, Korea, China to Break Windows Ties.
- Several WebRing: Free Operating Systems www
Several sites offering free OSs. WebRing: Free Operating Systems.
- NetBSD NetBSD 1.3 for Amiga www
NetBSD port for Amigas with MMUs. NetBSD 1.3 for Amiga.
- Goal: MorphOS www
Goal: Provide modern functionality for a new OS layer and run most Amiga applications as efficiently as possible in a box environment with no Classic Amiga custom chips available. MorphOS.
- Two IBM Unleashes 4.7 GHz POWER6 Microprocessor www
Two core, Unleashes 4.7 GHz POWER6 Microprocessor, 64-bit, doubles speed of prior generation POWER5, uses nearly equal power to run and cool it; has 790 million transistors via IBM 65nm lithography, result of 5 year research and development effort. Description, photos. DailyTech. IBM Unleashes 4.7 GHz POWER6 Microprocessor.
- Growing IBM POWER www
Growing entry, POWER, with links to many related topics. [Wikipedia] IBM POWER.
- Explains Sartoris Microkernel Tutorial www
Explains about making a policy-free microkernel; multipart series. Sartoris Microkernel Tutorial.
- Page The Open Group: Advanced Research www
Page listing several research projects: microkernel OSs (MK7, Open Group: Advanced Research, MK++, AD3) and other modules (CONVERSANT, CORDS, GIPC, SHAWS). The Open Group: Advanced Research.
- Alexa: MorphOS Microkernel
Alexa Directory Top Sites: MorphOS Microkernel
- DMOZ: MorphOS Microkernel
dmoz.org Directory: MorphOS Microkernel