Quality of Service (QoS) is an issue of ever growing importance as the world becomes ever more reliant on networks controlled by computers. QoS is of maximum importance as network traffic rises and networks grow congested. With streaming media being delivered over networks, it is even more vital to maintain reliability and high quality in transmission. QoS issues can only grow larger in time. Even when-where network connections and protocols are very reliable and of high quality, operating systems (OSs) can introduce delays and errors in transmission. Thus network operating systems (NOSs) must also maintain Quality of Service guarantees, so the overall network continues to run reliably. Quality of Service Network Operating Systems Software Computers.
Quality of service ( QoS ) is the overall performance of a telephony or computer network, particularly the performance seen by the users of the network. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Quality of service is the description or measurement of the overall performance of a service, such as a telephony or computer network or a cloud computing service, particularly the performance seen by the users of the network. To quantitatively measure quality of service, several related aspects of the network service are often considered, such as packet loss, bit rate, throughput, transmission delay, availability, jitter, etc.
- Application service architecture - Application service architecture is an emerging discipline within IT that involves a top down approach to monitoring, controlling, securing, and optimizing applications in transit.
- Best-effort - Best-effort delivery describes a network service in which the does not provide any guarantee that data is delivered or that delivery meets any quality of service.
- BSSGP - BSSGP is a protocol used in the GPRS mobile packet data system. It denotes Base Station System GPRS Protocol. It transfers information between two GPRS entities SGSN and BSS over a BSSGP Virtual Connection.
- Bufferbloat - Bufferbloat is a cause of high latency in packet-switched networks caused by excess buffering of packets. Bufferbloat can also cause packet delay variation, as well as reduce the overall network throughput.
- Class of service - Class of service is a parameter used in data and voice protocols to differentiate the types of payloads contained in the packet being transmitted. The objective of such differentiation is generally associated with assigning priorities to the data payload or access levels to the telephone call.
- Deep packet inspection (DPI).
- Services marketing
- Network performance
- Telecommunications engineering
- High-Performance Project Satori www
High-Performance distributed object environment emphasizing adaptive end-to-end QoS guarantees. Satori. Abstract, components, documents, people, funding. Project Satori.
- Has Getting Closer to 99.9999% Network Uptime www
Has information loss become so crucial? Is there real demand for highly available networks? Or are network OEMs, Closer to 99.9999% Network Uptime, fighting a bad economy, making high-tech versions of detergent ads claiming new and improved? Vaughan-Nichols and Associates. Getting Closer to 99.9999% Network Uptime.
- Free Scout www
Free for non-commercial use. Scout. Communication-oriented OS focused on network systems: network-attached devices, set-top boxes, and hand-held devices. Fast, customizable, based on new ways to structure and construct OSs: The Path: how data flows between end-points in a system; paths are primary objects to which resources are assigned. Also exploring new compiler technologies for system design and implementation, based on this insight: extensible OSs are worthless if no one can build or extend them. Scout.
- SUpport SUMO www
SUpport for Multimedia in Operating systems, SUMO, Lancaster University: microkernel OS with facilities to support distributed realtime and multimedia applications and ODP-based multimedia distributed application platforms. SUMO.
- Several DROPS: Dresden Real-Time Operating System Project www
Several RTOSs with QoS focus: much research is done on networking support for continuous-media applications, Dresden Real-Time Operating System Project, very few projects tackle related OS issues, such as scheduling and file system support for bounded response time: overview, status, download, installation, use, documentation, papers. DROPS: Dresden Real-Time Operating System Project.
- Object-oriented Tornado www
Object-oriented operating system for large-scale shared-memory multiprocessors. Tornado. Minimizes data sharing via careful design: often eliminates data sharing even when sharing appears natural. Successor to Hurricane. Tornado.
- T-Engine TRON + Linux = T-Linux www
T-Engine Forum and MontaVista Software are joining the long-dominant Japanese embedded OS, Linux = T-Linux, TRON, with embedded Linux, to form a standard software architecture for embedded devices benefiting from open source and Linux. Forum with comments. [Slashdot] TRON + Linux = T-Linux.
- What The Most Popular Operating System in the World www
What is Earth's most widely used OS? Not Linux, Most Popular Operating System in the World, Unix, or Windows, but ITRON, Japanese realtime kernel for small-scale embedded systems. It runs mobile phones, digital cameras, CD players, many other devices. [LinuxInsider] The Most Popular Operating System in the World.
- Growing Nemesis (computing) www
Growing article, (computing), with links to many related topics. Wikipedia. Nemesis (computing).
- Supports Nemesis www
Supports time-sensitive programs needing consistent Quality of Service (QoS), Nemesis, e.g., multimedia; fine-grained guaranteed levels of all system resources: CPU, memory, bandwidth of network, disk. Archive site, Systems Research Group: Networks and Operating Systems; University of Cambridge. Nemesis.
- Realtime SW Datentechnik GmbH www
Realtime software, Datentechnik GmbH, hardware, services: QNX, SQL, multiplatform RAD, portable UNIX-Windows, networking, RAID, multiport. SW Datentechnik GmbH.
- Realtime Xpolyplus www
Realtime OS and development system for programs for industrial automation, Xpolyplus, telecontrol, machine automation. It is C-Scada: does all functions of SCADA, plus control (more so with neXor I/O hardware); by XPLAB. English, Italian. Xpolyplus.
- University Systems Research Group, Networks and Operating Systems www
University of Cambridge, Research Group, Networks and Operating Systems, Computer Lab. Many interesting network OS oriented projects, including Nemesis OS. Systems Research Group, Networks and Operating Systems.
- Second KA9Q NOS TCP/IP Package www
KA9Q NOS TCP/IP Package.
- Alexa: Quality of Service Network
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Quality of Service Network
- DMOZ: Quality of Service Network
dmoz.org Directory: Quality of Service Network