Syllable was started in July 2002 as a fork of the AtheOS Operating System (OS). Several AtheOS developers, concerned about the continued long term development of AtheOS, created Syllable to ensure that development would continue. Goal: create a reliable and easy to use Open Source OS for home and small office users, encourage developers to create an OS that is intuitive, easy to use, powerful. Syllable Object-Oriented Operating Systems Software Computers.
Syllabic writing began several hundred years before the first letters. The earliest recorded syllables are on tablets written around 2800 BC in the Sumerian city of Ur. (wikipedia)
- Syllable (linguistics) A unit of organization for a sequence of speech sounds.
- Syllabary A set of written symbols that represent the syllables or moras which make up words.
- Syllable (operating system) A free and open source operating system for Pentium and compatible processors.
- Syllable (computing) A name for a platform-dependent unit of information storage.
- Slab (unit) A second-generation computer. All printed circuit boards used resistor-transistor logic to create...
- Syllable www
Official home of high performance, Syllable, desktop operating system, updated fork of AtheOS. Goal: reliable, intuitive, easy to use, powerful, for home, small office users. Descriptions, development, FAQs, forums, mail lists, news archive, screenshots. Open Source, GPL.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia: Syllable Operating System www
Encyclopedia article, Syllable Operating System, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia: Syllable Operating System.
- Syllable Syllable Wiki www
Syllable Wiki - the gathering place of all Syllable developers Syllable Wiki.
- Personal Vanders' Syllable Software www
Personal homepage and Syllable software portal by Vanders - Syllable's lead developer Vanders' Syllable Software.
- Discusses Syllable Team Marches On www
Discusses development work on Syllable before version 0. Team Marches On.4.1, and credits several members of the development team for the operating system. [OSNews] Syllable Team Marches On.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia: AtheOS File System www
Encyclopedia article, AtheOS File System, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia: AtheOS File System.
- Introduction, Syllable, The Little OS with a Big Future www
Introduction, The Little OS with a Big Future, history, review, features, many forum comments. OSNews. Syllable, The Little OS with a Big Future.
- This Users Update AtheOS, But Still No Word from its Founder www
This article details the events that led up to Syllable's fork from AtheOS, Update AtheOS, But Still No Word from its Founder, including the 9 month disappearance of Kurt Skauen, the lead developer of AtheOS. [OSNews] Users Update AtheOS, But Still No Word from its Founder.
- Interview AtheOS Wizard Kurt Skauen Tells All www
Interview by many questioners, Wizard Kurt Skauen Tells All, with many forum comments. Slashdot. AtheOS Wizard Kurt Skauen Tells All.
- Encyclopedia Wikipedia: AtheOS www
Encyclopedia article, AtheOS, with links to many topics. Wikipedia: AtheOS.
- Technical The BeBox Zone www
Technical Specifications for BeBox components, BeBox Zone, historical information about BeBox development, and anecdotal information about the use of BeBoxen. The BeBox Zone.
- Forums The Green Board www
Forums and information for users and developers of the Be Operating System. The Green Board.
- New Cefarix OS www
New project, OS, intended as stable, fast, secure, reliable, easy to use, 32-bit protected mode OS for x86 and later PowerPC systems, open source, many features, graphical user interface (GUI), to replace Microsoft Windows, all versions. Cefarix OS.
- Government China to Invest in Linux-based Software www
Government plans to put financial effort into Linux-based software; may rival Microsoft Windows in one of world's fastest-growing technology markets, Invest in Linux-based Software, official says. [CNN.com] China to Invest in Linux-based Software.
- Realtime rtmk www
Realtime microkernel: preemptive, rtmk, fully re-entrant, multithreaded, SMP, continuations, full locking primitives; shares many ideas with Mach, developed by CMU in late 1980's, early 1990's, stopped in 1994. [GPL] rtmk.
- To LinksOS www
To be fast, LinksOS, secure, straightforward, fill gap between OS X, Linux, Windows, built on microkernel, coded in Assembly, C/C++; for desktops, workstations, small servers. Description, mail list, OS design documents, CVS, downloads. [Open Source, BSD] LinksOS.
- Goal: AROS: Amiga Research OS www
Goal: create an open source OS as compatible as possible to AmigaOS 3. Amiga Research OS.1, but which can be ported to various CPUs: x86, 68k; PowerPC, Alpha, SPARC, MIPS. AROS: Amiga Research OS.
- A Multi User System Security www
A low level security system for the Amiga, User System Security, consisting of a new filesystem and a library. It implements a security system similar to that of UNIX. Multi User System Security.
- A Quantix www
A POSIX microkernel with roots of the Mach and FreeBSD projects. Quantix. [Open source, BSD-like] Quantix.
- Effort Nova www
Effort to create a POSIX-like operating system atop the rtmk microkernel. Nova. [Open Source, GPL] Nova.
- Mach MK++ www
Mach compatible microkernel; gives one code base able to support high assurance, MK++, scalability, realtime, distribution, SMP, fault handling, performance; all built in an object-oriented B3 evaluable fashion. MK++.
- Multithreaded Atomatrix www
Multithreaded execution system of atomic matrices with dynamic compiler, Atomatrix, a network environment, and an object-oriented OS. Open source, BSD. Atomatrix.
- Alexa: Syllable Object-Oriented
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Syllable Object-Oriented
- DMOZ: Syllable Object-Oriented
dmoz.org Directory: Syllable Object-Oriented