Parallel operating systems (OSs) are written for computers using two or more processors (called nodes), and where such processors are usually nearby each other, and usually linked via buses, and not networks. Parallel computers can run many types of programs far faster than normal one-processor computers, depending on the type of problem being computed. Programs written for, that work on, one-processor computers don't automatically work on parallel computers; programmers must specify explicitly how to divide computing work between all available nodes. Information on programming for parallel computers is in Parallel_Computing-Programming. Many libraries exist to help programmers write applications for parallel computers. Parallel Operating Systems Software Computers.
- Parallel computing A type of computation in which many calculations or the execution of processes are carried out...
- Parallel ATA An interface standard for the connection of storage devices such as hard disk drives, floppy disk...
- Parallel port A type of interface found on computers for connecting peripherals.
- Parallel algorithm An algorithm which can be executed a piece at a time on many different processing devices, and...
- Parallel circuits As opposed to series.
- Parallel (latitude) An abstract east?west circle connecting all locations around the Earth at a given latitude.
- Parallel (manga) A Japanese sh?nen manga by Toshihiko Kobayashi.
- Parallel cousin A cousin from a parent's same-sex sibling, while a cross cousin is from a parent's opposite-sex...
- University Parallel Systems Group www
University of Toronto researchers working on all aspects of parallel systems: computer architecture, Systems Group, OSs, compilers, performance evaluation, applications. Home of Hurricane and Tornado OSs, Hector and NUMAchine multiprocessors. Parallel Systems Group.
- University RTG: Real Time Systems Group www
University of Pennsylvania, Real Time Systems Group, Philadelphia. Goal: develop methods, tools, systems to facilitate designing and implementing reliable distributed RT systems. Current projects: developing specification and analysis methods for RT systems, probabilistic modeling and analysis, schedulability analysis, run-time monitoring/checking, RT wireless communication and hybrid systems. RTG: Real Time Systems Group.
- A Arx www
A full, Arx, stand-alone RTOS: fully preemptive realtime kernel, POSIX thread library, multithread-safe standard I/O libraries, TCP/IP suite, VFAT file system, X11 R6 window system, user-level IO. By Real-Time OSs Lab, Seoul National University. Arx.
- Simple Linda www
Simple library implementation of the Linda parallel programming system. Linda. SourceForge project page: downloads, forum and CVS. Linda.
- Language A Distributed Implementation of the C-Linda Programming Language www
Language combining C and Linda, Distributed Implementation of the C-Linda Programming Language, gives six functions for concurrent process coordination, can be added to any other sequential language. Thesis with essay, bibliography, code samples. A Distributed Implementation of the C-Linda Programming Language.
- Software MOSIX www
Software package to enhance Unix kernels (7 so far) and Linux with cluster computing abilities. MOSIX. Lets any size cluster of x86-based workstations and servers work cooperatively as if part of one system. [Open Source, GPL] MOSIX.
- Support SUMO www
Support for Multimedia in Operating systems, SUMO, Lancaster University: microkernel OS with facilities to support distributed realtime and multimedia applications and ODP-based multimedia distributed application platforms. SUMO.
- Offers Erlang Training and Consulting Ltd. www
Offers Erlang/OTP training courses at all levels, Training and Consulting Ltd., seminars, consulting services and code reviews. Based in London, its consultants and trainers are available for long and short term jobs worldwide. Erlang Training and Consulting Ltd..
- Growing Erlang Programming Language www
Growing article, Programming Language, with links to many related topics. [Wikipedia] Erlang Programming Language.
- Explains Sartoris Microkernel Tutorial www
Explains about making a policy-free microkernel; multipart series. Sartoris Microkernel Tutorial.
- Teachable Topsy www
Teachable Operating System: tiny multithreaded messaging microkernel, Topsy, in ANSI C; protected threads, memory managed, and thread/process control. From undergraduate course on concurrency, device programming, OS concepts. Descriptions, documents, theses, downloads, contacts, links. [Open Source, GPL] Topsy.
- Investigating Iguana Project www
Investigating use of object-orientation, Project, computational reflection, and metaobject protocols (MOPs) to support dynamic customizing of (system) software. Iguana Project.
- Mach MK++ www
Mach compatible microkernel; gives one code base able to support high assurance, MK++, scalability, realtime, distribution, SMP, fault handling, performance; all built in an object-oriented B3 evaluable fashion. MK++.
- Growing Operating System www
Growing article, System, with links to many related topics. Wikipedia. Operating System.
- Weblog OSNews: Exploring the Future of Computing www
Weblog style online magazine on operating systems and computing environments. Exploring the Future of Computing. Daily updates, reader forum with many comments. OSNews: Exploring the Future of Computing.
- Alexa: Parallel Operating Systems
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Parallel Operating Systems
- DMOZ: Parallel Operating Systems
dmoz.org Directory: Parallel Operating Systems