Persistence is the trait of maintaining system state despite discontinuities in operation or use, such as from one use of a program to the next use. In simple terms, persistent programs lose no, or little, information if the system becomes inoperative suddenly. As most computer users know, many computers often become inoperative suddenly, for two main reasons: the electric power stops, or a program crashes. Persistent operating systems (OSs) are OSs that maintain global persistence for all threads, processes, and programs that are running, as they run. When using persistent OSs, if the plug is pulled out suddenly, and the screen goes black, the computer can be plugged back in, and is up and running again quickly, almost exactly where it left off, losing no, or little (at most only a few seconds) work. Persistent Operating Systems Software Computers.
- Persistent data structure A data structure that always preserves the previous version of itself when it is modified.
- Persistent Systems A technology services company which was incorporated on 16 May 1990 as Persistent Systems Private...
- Persistent identifier A long-lasting reference to a document, file, web page, or other object.
- Persistent data Persistent Data denotes information that is infrequently accessed and not likely to be modified.
- Persistent memory Any method or apparatus for efficiently storing data structures such that they can continue to be...
- USS Persistent Meanings Three United States Navy ships.
- Eumel A Persistent System in Real Use: Experiences of the First 13 Years www
Eumel and successor L3, Persistent System in Real Use: Experiences of the First 13 Years, OSs made by GMD, have been used for 13 and 4 years respectively, for production in business, education. Over 2000 Eumel, 500 L3 have shipped since 1979, 1988. Both rely on persistence, with fault-surviving. Description, links. [ResearchIndex, CiteSeer] A Persistent System in Real Use: Experiences of the First 13 Years.
- Summary Raleigh News & Observer: Keeping Interface Simple www
Summary of newspaper story, News & Observer: Keeping Interface Simple, useful forum comments. [Linux Today] Raleigh News & Observer: Keeping Interface Simple.
- Brief The Humane Environment www
Brief news story, Humane Environment, and forum comments in great abundance, more than usual. Many varied opinions. [Slashdot] The Humane Environment.
- Fast, BRiX: Advanced Computing Environment www
Fast, Advanced Computing Environment, no-kernel, single address space, data-centric, preemptive multithreaded, persistent, secure, multi-user operating system, with Crush function-based programming safe-language. Some code available. [Open Source, Artistic] BRiX: Advanced Computing Environment.
- The Crush/BRiX: An Experimental Language/OS Pair www
Crush/BRiX: An Experimental Language/OS Pair.
- Where The Expected Lifetime of Single Address Space Operating Systems www
Where stale pointers make it hard to re-use addresses, Expected Lifetime of Single Address Space Operating Systems, some have claimed that a 64-bit address space is so big that there is no need to ever re-use addresses. Results of kernel-level tracing of department workstations. The Expected Lifetime of Single Address Space Operating Systems.
- Multitasking Torsion www
Multitasking SASOS with transparent data persistence: users and application programmers need not know or care that system memory is transient and must be written to disk to persist across reboots, Torsion, all details done by OS, so once data is made, it exists until explicitly destroyed, like physical objects. [Open Source, GPL] Torsion.
- Abstract EROS: A Principle-Driven Operating System from the Ground Up www
Abstract of article by Jonathan S. Principle-Driven Operating System from the Ground Up. Shapiro, Norm Hardy; published by IEEE Computer Society. [IEEE Software] EROS: A Principle-Driven Operating System from the Ground Up.
- This EROS: A Fast Capability System www
This capability-based OS for commodity processors uses a one level storage model; store persistence is transparent to applications. Fast Capability System. Surprisingly, performance of this very high security system matches normal OSs. [ResearchIndex] EROS: A Fast Capability System.
- Preemptible, Fiasco www
Preemptible, Fiasco, realtime, 2nd-generation microkernel, fast, maintainable, readable, supports hard priorities, uses non-blocking synchronization for kernel objects to guarantee priority inheritance, ensure runnable high-priority processes never block waiting for lower ones; rework of L4 interface. [Open Source, GPL] Fiasco.
- A E1 www
A distributed operating system based on the concepts of object replication, E1, component model support and persistence. It consists of a L4 microkernel and a set of distributed objects acting at the user level. [Open source] E1.
- Written ISE Technology paper: Agents, Iterators and Introspection in Eiffel www
Written in the form of an addition to the book 'Eiffel: The Language'. Technology paper: Agents, Iterators and Introspection in Eiffel. Introspection is Eiffel's term for reflection. Acrobat PDF format. ISE Technology paper: Agents, Iterators and Introspection in Eiffel.
- Research Object-Oriented Concurrent Reflective Languages can be Implemented Efficiently www
Research paper; OOPSLA October 1992. Concurrent Reflective Languages can be Implemented Efficiently. ResearchIndex. Object-Oriented Concurrent Reflective Languages can be Implemented Efficiently.
- Unbiased How Stuff Works: Operating Systems www
Unbiased enlightening tutorial with impartial description of how OSs work, Stuff Works: Operating Systems, and many related links. How Stuff Works: Operating Systems.
- Weblog OSNews: Exploring the Future of Computing www
Weblog style online magazine on operating systems and computing environments. Exploring the Future of Computing. Daily updates, reader forum with many comments. OSNews: Exploring the Future of Computing.
- Alexa: Persistent Operating Systems
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Persistent Operating Systems
- DMOZ: Persistent Operating Systems
dmoz.org Directory: Persistent Operating Systems