All operating systems (OSs) in this section support POSIX standards fully. The main standard defining what constitutes a Unix OS is POSIX, an acronym for: Portable Operating System Interface for UniX. Much like TRON, POSIX is not a body of computer code that is compiled and run on some processor. Rather, it is a set of standards (IEEE 1003.1): interfaces, design guidelines, software design specifications, defining (for creating) the computer code that will become language interfaces between an OS kernel and its programs, to give compatibility when moving programs between compatible systems. POSIX is made mostly of features from BSD Unix and Unix System V. Much like Open Source software, all POSIX standards are copyrighted (by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. Unix Operating Systems Software Computers.
Unix ( / ˈ j uː . n ɪ k s / ; trademarked as UNIX ) is a family of multitasking, multiuser computer operating systems that derive from the original AT&T Unix, developed in the 1970s at the Bell Labs research center by Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, and others. (wikipedia)
- Unix A family of multitasking, multiuser computer operating systems that derive from the original AT&T...
- Unix-like A Unix-like operating system is one that behaves in a manner similar to a Unix system, while not...
- UNIX System V UNIX System V is one of the first commercial versions of the Unix operating system.
- Single UNIX Specification The collective name of a family of standards for computer operating systems, compliance with...
- POSIX A family of standards specified by the IEEE Computer Society for maintaining compatibility...
- OpenServer A closed source computer operating system developed by Santa Cruz Operation, later acquired by...
- BSD Unix A Unix operating system derivative developed and distributed by the Computer Systems Research...
- BSD licenses A family of permissive free software licenses, imposing minimal restrictions on the use and...
- Unix System Laboratories Unix System Laboratories was originally organized as part of Bell Labs in 1989.
- SCOsource A business division of The SCO Group that manages its Unix intellectual property.
- UNIX Review An American magazine covering technical aspects of the UNIX operating system and C programming.
- IBM AIX: Unix Operating System www
IBM home page for AIX; many IBM AIX resources, AIX: Unix Operating System, product and service descriptions, links.
- A UnixGeeks.org www
A growing repository of resources and information related to the Unix operating system. UnixGeeks.org. All content is maintained by the group of users, to which membership is free. UnixGeeks.org.
- Book. Tuning Server Performance and Adding Internal Hard Drives www
Book. Server Performance and Adding Internal Hard Drives. Contents: Measuring server performance, allocating RAM, NFS. Tuning Server Performance and Adding Internal Hard Drives.
- Jagubox Jagubox Mirror www
Jagubox was the source for A/UX-Fans but disappeared some years ago. Mirror. Here are: fixes, daemons, patches, infos, utilities, and Y2K-stuff. Jagubox Mirror.
- Group Download AIX Software www
Group Bull's Large Freeware and Shareware Archive for AIX (R) 4 Download AIX Software.
- Ask SysAdmin Talk www
Ask questions, Talk, answer and discuss the daily routines of system administration. SysAdmin Talk.
- Learn LiveFire Labs: UNIX System Administration Training - Hands-on Internet Lab www
Learn Unix system administration online using a dedicated Unix system in our Internet Lab to complete hands-on exercises, Labs: UNIX System Administration Training - Hands-on Internet Lab, including reboots. View a sample course module before registering. LiveFire Labs: UNIX System Administration Training - Hands-on Internet Lab.
- A 4.4BSD Documents www
A snapshot of some of the 4. Documents.4BSD-Lite documents. 4.4BSD Documents.
- Annual BSDCan www
Annual BSD technical conference; since 2004, BSDCan, held every May; University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. BSDCan.
- Growing BSD/OS www
- Consultancy Expert Systems Consulting www
Consultancy for trade service array software and the electrical wholesale industry. Systems Consulting. Also provides web design services. Expert Systems Consulting.
- Opus OPUS Systems www
Opus Systems is the market leader in providing Unix-based systems for the embedded PC market. Systems. Its flagship product is the Turbo SPARCard 5 system for PCs, which provides a complete Sun Microsystems SPARCstation-compatible system in a PC form factor. Cupertino, CA. OPUS Systems.
- Statistics Internet Operating System Counter www
Statistics on Internet OS use, Operating System Counter, WWW, FTP, and News servers. Over 940,000 hosts checked in this 1999 survey. Internet Operating System Counter.
- The Convergence International www
The non-Wintel user group, International, supporting Acorn, Amiga, Apple, ARM, Be, NCs, PowerPC, Psion, Unix and other alternative operating systems. Services include a non-Wintel news summary. Convergence International.
- Alexa: Unix Operating Systems
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Unix Operating Systems
- DMOZ: Unix Operating Systems
dmoz.org Directory: Unix Operating Systems