Darwin is a Unix-based open source operating system and forms core of Mac OS X. The Darwin kernel is based on FreeBSD and Mach 3.0 technologies. Darwin runs on both PowerPC-based Macintosh computers and some Intel-based personal computers. Darwin BSD Unix Operating Systems Software Computers.
- Charles Darwin An English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science...
- Darwin, Northern Territory Darwin.
- Darwin (operating system) An open-source Unix operating system released by Apple Inc. in 2000.
- Charles Galton Darwin An English physicist who served as director of the National Physical Laboratory during the Second...
- Darwin (unit) A unit of evolutionary change, defined by J.B.S. Haldane in 1949.
- Darwin (2011 film) A 2011 documentary film directed by Nick Brandestini.
- Mount Darwin, Zimbabwe A town in Zimbabwe.
- Darwin Rebellion The culmination of unrest in the Australian Workers' Union which had existed between 1911 and 1919.
- Darwin Awards A tongue-in-cheek honor, originating in Usenet newsgroup discussions around 1985.
- The Hexley the Platypus www
The mascot of the Darwin OS. Hexley the Platypus.
- Official Apple Developer Connection: Darwin Releases www
Official page with downloads of the various Darwin releases and developer tools. Apple Developer Connection: Darwin Releases.
- A Open Software in a Commercial Operating System www
A paper written by Wilfredo Sánchez, Software in a Commercial Operating System, the then Open Source Engineering Lead at Apple, about the use of open source in commercial software such as Mac OS X Server. Open Software in a Commercial Operating System.
- A The GNU-Darwin Distribution www
A Unix distribution which focuses on the porting of free software to Darwin and Mac OS X. The GNU-Darwin Distribution.
- A Fink www
A package manager for Darwin based on the Debian apt-get set of tools. Fink. 2900+ ports listed. Fink.
- A The Challenges of Integrating the Unix and Mac OS Environments www
A paper on the design issues Apple faced when they ported the Mac OS to a semantically different Unix base (Darwin). The Challenges of Integrating the Unix and Mac OS Environments.
- A The FreeBSD Foundation www
A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to supporting the FreeBSD Project. The FreeBSD Foundation.
- Searchable FreeBSD Mailing List Archives www
Searchable FreeBSD mailing list archives FreeBSD Mailing List Archives.
- Tips, Cocoa Dev Central www
Tips, Dev Central, tricks, and tutorials for the novice Cocoa developer. Cocoa Dev Central.
- Big Big Nerd Ranch www
Big Nerd Ranch offers intensive, Nerd Ranch, head-down Cocoa programming courses taught by experts in a retreat-style environment. Also contains information on Aaron Hillegass' book "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X". Big Nerd Ranch.
- (Formerly MacEnterprise.org www
(Formerly macosxlabs. MacEnterprise.org.org) A community of IT professionals sharing information and solutions to support Macs in an enterprise. MacEnterprise.org.
- Security Mac OS X Security www
Security issues and advisories. X Security. Locate security vulnerability and published hack reports for the new operating system. Mac OS X Security.
- Mach MK++ www
Mach compatible microkernel; gives one code base able to support high assurance, MK++, scalability, realtime, distribution, SMP, fault handling, performance; all built in an object-oriented B3 evaluable fashion. MK++.
- Famous Mach www
Famous pioneering microkernel research OS, Mach, from Carnegie Mellon University: CMU. It lead to many well known OSs: NeXT, Flux (part of the Flux-Fluke-Flask progression, though Fluke is new code, and which is viewed by many as the follow-on to Mach), GNU Hurd. Mach.
- Articles The Mac Maineiac www
Articles and newspaper columns written by Pete Zimowski primarily about Macs, Mac Maineiac, Mac software, and how to use them. The Mac Maineiac.
- Mac About.com: Macs www
Mac hardware and software reviews, Macs, tips, and guides from About.com. About.com: Macs.
- Provides Apple Unix Server Penelope www
Provides a brief introduction to Apple Unix, Unix Server Penelope, and detail the procedure used to install A/UX 3.02 and Apache webserver 1.3.19 on a Quadra 800. Apple Unix Server Penelope.
- Annual BSDCan www
Annual BSD technical conference; since 2004, BSDCan, held every May; University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. BSDCan.
- Description, GreasyDaemon.com: Your Guide to BSD Unix www
Description, Your Guide to BSD Unix, links and search engine to find information related to BSD Unix: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD. GreasyDaemon.com: Your Guide to BSD Unix.
- Alexa: Darwin BSD
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Darwin BSD
- DMOZ: Darwin BSD
dmoz.org Directory: Darwin BSD