Usenet, or Netnews, is a world-wide distributed discussion system. Traditional access to newsgroups, or discussion fora, requires newsreader software and access to a newsserver. Many ISPs provide access to a newsserver as part of their service package. This section provides general information about Usenet. Usenet Computers.
Usenet is a worldwide distributed discussion system available on computers. It was developed from the general-purpose UUCP dial-up network architecture. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Usenet is a worldwide distributed discussion system available on computers. It was developed from the general-purpose UUCP dial-up network architecture. Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis conceived the idea in 1979, and it was established in 1980. Users read and post messages to one or more categories, known as newsgroups. Usenet resembles a bulletin board system in many respects and is the precursor to Internet forums that are widely used today. Discussions are threaded, as with web forums and BBSs, though posts are stored on the server sequentially. The name comes from the term "users network".
- Usenet Category
- Usenet II - Usenet II was a proposed alternative to the classic Usenet hierarchy, started in 1998. Unlike the original Usenet, it was peered only between "sound sites" and employs a system of rules to keep out spam. The network still exists, but has carried almost no posts apart from FAQs for many years.
- Reddit - Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website. Reddit's registered community members can submit content such as text posts or direct links. Registered users can then vote submissions up or down that determines their position on the page.
- Newsreader (Usenet)
- EasyNews (since 1994).
- Giganews (since 1994).
- Astraweb (since 1997).
- Computer-mediated communication
- Pre?World Wide Web online services
- Online chat
- Computer networks
- Authoritative Active File www
Maintained by the Big Eight Moderation Team at isc. Active File.org. This active file is a complete and current list of newsgroups available. Not limited to the "Big 8" groups only.
- Homepage yEnc - Encoding for Usenet and E-mail www
Homepage of the public domain encoding format widely used in binary newsgroups. Encoding for Usenet and E-mail. A stand alone yEnc decoder is also available for download with its source code. yEnc - Encoding for Usenet and E-mail.
- An Internet Software Consortium www
An FTP site with archives of various Usenet related documents. Software Consortium. Includes active files, control messages, list of Usenet hierarchies. Internet Software Consortium.
- Explains CanadianAlien www
Explains how to use binary newsgroups. CanadianAlien.
- A Pi's Smiley List www
A list of smilies used on Usenet. Pi's Smiley List.
- Timo Links to Professor Timo Salmi's FAQ Material www
Timo Salmi has advice on how to participate effectively in Usenet. Professor Timo Salmi's FAQ Material. Topics include: Proper quoting, proper signatures, how to respond to "crackpots", where to put test postings and other important topics. Links to Professor Timo Salmi's FAQ Material.
- Presents Beginner's Guide to Newsgroup Newsreaders www
Presents newsgroups and newsreaders with a particular focus on binary newsgroups. Beginner's Guide to Newsgroup Newsreaders.
- A Wikipedia: Usenet www
A presentation of Usenet: its history, Usenet, terms and organization along with technical details and information on binary content. Wikipedia: Usenet.
- History Usenet on Livinginternet.com www
History of Usenet as a whole and of specific hierarchies like alt. Livinginternet.com.*, bitnet and fidonet, old Usenet maps, the way the newsgroups work and how to use them, tips on advanced use, useful links. Usenet on Livinginternet.com.
- Tutorials Slyck's Guide to the Newsgroups www
Tutorials on binary newsgroups : how to download, Guide to the Newsgroups, verify, combine and decode files as well as how to post them. Tutorials on other topics such as IRC and P2P are also available. Slyck's Guide to the Newsgroups.
- An Free Advice on Usenet News www
An editorial introduction to Usenet. Free Advice on Usenet News.
- General AnchorDudes Usenet Newsgroup Server FAQ www
General presentation of binary newsgroups: specific terms, Usenet Newsgroup Server FAQ, provider comparison with a pricing table, newsgroup listings and a quick review of newsreader software. AnchorDudes Usenet Newsgroup Server FAQ.
- Offers Binaries4all www
Offers binary newsgroup tutorials covering downloading, Binaries4all, posting and use of software tools. Includes messageboard. Binaries4all.
- Information NewsgroupReviews.com www
Information and reviews on newsgroup access providers and newsreaders along with basic tutorials. NewsgroupReviews.com.
- A How to Usenet www
A brief introduction to Usenet, Usenet, particularly focusing on selecting a server and choosing a newsreader. Also features a collection of useful links. How to Usenet.
- Brief Rules for Posting to Usenet www
Brief introduction to Usenet and appropriate guidelines to follow for posting. Rules for Posting to Usenet.
- Explanation About News-Posting, by J R Stockton www
Explanation of Usenet terms and tips on how to write and post to Usenet. About News-Posting, by J R Stockton.
- Offers Usenet-Newsgroups.com www
Offers reviews of several websites on newsgroups. Usenet-Newsgroups.com. Includes a forum where users can share ideas and get assistance. Usenet-Newsgroups.com.
- Selection Jukka Korpela's Material About Usenet www
Selection of links to material on Usenet. Korpela's Material About Usenet. Editorials by Jukka explaining the workings of Usenet and the reasons for certain conventions. Jukka Korpela's Material About Usenet.
- Dedicated Freedom Knights of Usenet www
Dedicated to free speech, Knights of Usenet, and its implementation on Usenet, an alternative point of view. Information about Usenet sites of Virtue and surviving UDPs. Freedom Knights of Usenet.
- Web-based Usenet Replayer www
Web-based Usenet tools, Replayer, including news resources archive, news server search, posting and retrieving of Usenet messages, advertising products, and forgery cancellations. Free. Usenet Replayer.
- Tim Snoozenet www
Tim Pierce's New's Hacking page. Snoozenet. Includes links to RFC 977, 1036, son-of-1036. Snoozenet.
- Offers Australian Usenet www
Offers the latest news about Australian ISPs' Usenet services, Usenet, also includes tutorials on how to get started with programs like Alt.Binz, Newsleecher and Grabit along with a collection of links. Australian Usenet.
- Lists Finding the Appropriate Newsgroup www
Lists of groups listed according to where to post common kinds of posts, the Appropriate Newsgroup, where to read about common topics, and so on. Finding the Appropriate Newsgroup.
- Explains User's Guide to the Changing Usenet www
Explains how RFDs (Requests For Discussion) and CFVs (Call For Votes) can be used to change a Usenet newsgroup. Guide to the Changing Usenet. Gives tips on how to stay abreast of changes in newsgroups and how to be an active participant. User's Guide to the Changing Usenet.
- A The Usenet Newbie Project www
A global presentation of Usenet: how to access it, Usenet Newbie Project, how to read posts, explanation of technical terms and acronyms. The Usenet Newbie Project.
- Information Mib Software: Usenet Rapid Knowledge Transfer www
Information about Usenet for users and developers. Mib Software: Usenet Rapid Knowledge Transfer.
- An Beware the Troll www
An internet troll is someone who fishes for people's confidence and, the Troll, once found, exploits it. This essay explores the psychology of trolls and how to deal with them. Beware the Troll.
- Dealing alt.syntax.tactical FAQ www
Dealing with Trolls Crossposting and Flames. alt.syntax.tactical FAQ.
- Open Camelsystem Power-Post www
Open source applicatie voor het posten van binaire files in nieuwsgroepen, Power-Post, afgeleid van YencPowerPostA&A11b, met screenshots en een support forum. Camelsystem Power-Post.
- Hoe Quote in nieuwsgroepen. www
Hoe te antwoorden op berichten in nieuwsgroepen. Quote in nieuwsgroepen..
- Briefly Why Ask Questions in Public? www
Briefly explains advantages of asking technical questions in public rather than e-mailing them directly to a group member. Ask Questions in Public?. Written and placed in the public domain by Russ Allbery. Why Ask Questions in Public?.
- About How do I quote correctly in Usenet? www
About attribution, I quote correctly in Usenet?, quoting, answering, quotation marks and quoting other resources. How do I quote correctly in Usenet?.
- Explains Advertising on Usenet: How to do it, How not to do it. www
Explains some Usenet conventions regarding advertising to new users. Advertising on Usenet: How to do it, How not to do it..
- FAQs Arcane Archive FAQ Directory www
FAQs for groups in alt. Archive FAQ Directory.magick, alt.religion, and other related groups. Covers Occultism, Mysticism, Religion, and Magic. Arcane Archive FAQ Directory.
- Usenet Newshosting www
Usenet news service providing both individual and business feeds. Newshosting. Prices of the unlimited plans vary depending on the retention rate. Free headers for the metered account. Newshosting.
- Provides NewsgroupDirect www
Provides unlimited and metered accounts for individuals. NewsgroupDirect. Headers are not included in the download quota and SSL encryption is available as an option. NewsgroupDirect.
- Management Big-8 Usenet www
Management board of the big 8 hierarchies: controls creation, Usenet, naming, moderation policies and removal processes for newsgroups in those hierarchies. Includes a FAQ and details of recent announcements. Big-8 Usenet.
- Canonical Trigofacile.com: Hierarchies www
Canonical list of managed, Hierarchies, unmanaged, local and private hierarchies with information on how to carry them: newsgroups list, PGP key, contact, URL. Trigofacile.com: Hierarchies.
- Alexa: Usenet Computers
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Usenet Computers
- DMOZ: Usenet Computers
dmoz.org Directory: Usenet Computers