Usenet, or Netnews, is a world-wide distributed discussion system. Traditional access to newsgroups, or discussion fora, requires newsreader software and access to a newsserver. Many ISPs provide access to a newsserver as part of their service package. This section provides general information about Usenet. Usenet Computers.
Usenet is a worldwide distributed discussion system available on computers. It was developed from the general-purpose UUCP dial-up network architecture. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Usenet is a worldwide distributed discussion system available on computers. It was developed from the general-purpose UUCP dial-up network architecture. Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis conceived the idea in 1979, and it was established in 1980. Users read and post messages to one or more categories, known as newsgroups. Usenet resembles a bulletin board system in many respects and is the precursor to Internet forums that are widely used today. Discussions are threaded, as with web forums and BBSs, though posts are stored on the server sequentially. The name comes from the term "users network".
- Usenet Category
- Usenet II - Usenet II was a proposed alternative to the classic Usenet hierarchy, started in 1998. Unlike the original Usenet, it was peered only between "sound sites" and employs a system of rules to keep out spam. The network still exists, but has carried almost no posts apart from FAQs for many years.
- Reddit - Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website. Reddit's registered community members can submit content such as text posts or direct links. Registered users can then vote submissions up or down that determines their position on the page.
- Newsreader (Usenet)
- EasyNews (since 1994).
- Giganews (since 1994).
- Astraweb (since 1997).
- Computer-mediated communication
- Pre?World Wide Web online services
- Online chat
- Computer networks
- Authoritative Active File www
Maintained by the Big Eight Moderation Team at isc. Active File.org. This active file is a complete and current list of newsgroups available. Not limited to the "Big 8" groups only.
- A Pi's Smiley List www
A list of smilies used on Usenet. Pi's Smiley List.
- Tim Snoozenet www
Tim Pierce's New's Hacking page. Snoozenet. Includes links to RFC 977, 1036, son-of-1036. Snoozenet.
- Explanation About News-Posting, by J R Stockton www
Explanation of Usenet terms and tips on how to write and post to Usenet. About News-Posting, by J R Stockton.
- An Internet Software Consortium www
An FTP site with archives of various Usenet related documents. Software Consortium. Includes active files, control messages, list of Usenet hierarchies. Internet Software Consortium.
- A Wikipedia: Usenet www
A presentation of Usenet: its history, Usenet, terms and organization along with technical details and information on binary content. Wikipedia: Usenet.
- Timo Links to Professor Timo Salmi's FAQ Material www
Timo Salmi has advice on how to participate effectively in Usenet. Professor Timo Salmi's FAQ Material. Topics include: Proper quoting, proper signatures, how to respond to "crackpots", where to put test postings and other important topics. Links to Professor Timo Salmi's FAQ Material.
- An Free Advice on Usenet News www
An editorial introduction to Usenet. Free Advice on Usenet News.
- General AnchorDudes Usenet Newsgroup Server FAQ www
General presentation of binary newsgroups: specific terms, Usenet Newsgroup Server FAQ, provider comparison with a pricing table, newsgroup listings and a quick review of newsreader software. AnchorDudes Usenet Newsgroup Server FAQ.
- Offers Australian Usenet www
Offers the latest news about Australian ISPs' Usenet services, Usenet, also includes tutorials on how to get started with programs like Alt.Binz, Newsleecher and Grabit along with a collection of links. Australian Usenet.
- Offers Usenet-Newsgroups.com www
Offers reviews of several websites on newsgroups. Usenet-Newsgroups.com. Includes a forum where users can share ideas and get assistance. Usenet-Newsgroups.com.
- Brief Rules for Posting to Usenet www
Brief introduction to Usenet and appropriate guidelines to follow for posting. Rules for Posting to Usenet.
- Presents Beginner's Guide to Newsgroup Newsreaders www
Presents newsgroups and newsreaders with a particular focus on binary newsgroups. Beginner's Guide to Newsgroup Newsreaders.
- Tutorials Slyck's Guide to the Newsgroups www
Tutorials on binary newsgroups : how to download, Guide to the Newsgroups, verify, combine and decode files as well as how to post them. Tutorials on other topics such as IRC and P2P are also available. Slyck's Guide to the Newsgroups.
- Homepage yEnc - Encoding for Usenet and E-mail www
Homepage of the public domain encoding format widely used in binary newsgroups. Encoding for Usenet and E-mail. A stand alone yEnc decoder is also available for download with its source code. yEnc - Encoding for Usenet and E-mail.
- Selection Jukka Korpela's Material About Usenet www
Selection of links to material on Usenet. Korpela's Material About Usenet. Editorials by Jukka explaining the workings of Usenet and the reasons for certain conventions. Jukka Korpela's Material About Usenet.
- A The Usenet Newbie Project www
A global presentation of Usenet: how to access it, Usenet Newbie Project, how to read posts, explanation of technical terms and acronyms. The Usenet Newbie Project.
- Dedicated Freedom Knights of Usenet www
Dedicated to free speech, Knights of Usenet, and its implementation on Usenet, an alternative point of view. Information about Usenet sites of Virtue and surviving UDPs. Freedom Knights of Usenet.
- Lists Finding the Appropriate Newsgroup www
Lists of groups listed according to where to post common kinds of posts, the Appropriate Newsgroup, where to read about common topics, and so on. Finding the Appropriate Newsgroup.
- Explains User's Guide to the Changing Usenet www
Explains how RFDs (Requests For Discussion) and CFVs (Call For Votes) can be used to change a Usenet newsgroup. Guide to the Changing Usenet. Gives tips on how to stay abreast of changes in newsgroups and how to be an active participant. User's Guide to the Changing Usenet.
- Web-based Usenet Replayer www
Web-based Usenet tools, Replayer, including news resources archive, news server search, posting and retrieving of Usenet messages, advertising products, and forgery cancellations. Free. Usenet Replayer.
- A How to Usenet www
A brief introduction to Usenet, Usenet, particularly focusing on selecting a server and choosing a newsreader. Also features a collection of useful links. How to Usenet.
- Offers Binaries4all www
Offers binary newsgroup tutorials covering downloading, Binaries4all, posting and use of software tools. Includes messageboard. Binaries4all.
- Information Mib Software: Usenet Rapid Knowledge Transfer www
Information about Usenet for users and developers. Mib Software: Usenet Rapid Knowledge Transfer.
- History Usenet on Livinginternet.com www
History of Usenet as a whole and of specific hierarchies like alt. Livinginternet.com.*, bitnet and fidonet, old Usenet maps, the way the newsgroups work and how to use them, tips on advanced use, useful links. Usenet on Livinginternet.com.
- Explains CanadianAlien www
Explains how to use binary newsgroups. CanadianAlien.
- Information NewsgroupReviews.com www
Information and reviews on newsgroup access providers and newsreaders along with basic tutorials. NewsgroupReviews.com.
- Dealing alt.syntax.tactical FAQ www
Dealing with Trolls Crossposting and Flames. alt.syntax.tactical FAQ.
- How FAQ: The Newsgroup Care Cancel Cookbook www
How to cancel spam and other cancelables off individual newsgroups using the simplest of means. FAQ: The Newsgroup Care Cancel Cookbook.
- Open Camelsystem Power-Post www
Open source applicatie voor het posten van binaire files in nieuwsgroepen, Power-Post, afgeleid van YencPowerPostA&A11b, met screenshots en een support forum. Camelsystem Power-Post.
- Een Woordenlijst www
Een uitgebreide woordenlijst met de begrippen die op Usenet gebruikt worden. Woordenlijst.
- Gives The Seven Don'ts of Usenet www
Gives a list of behaviours to be avoided when posting to Usenet groups, Seven Don'ts of Usenet, as well as links to expand on each item. The Seven Don'ts of Usenet.
- Satirical Dear Emily Postnews www
Satirical questions and answers on how to act on Usenet. Dear Emily Postnews.
- Explains Advertising on Usenet: How to do it, How not to do it. www
Explains some Usenet conventions regarding advertising to new users. Advertising on Usenet: How to do it, How not to do it..
- A The Subtle Art of Trolling www
A guide to recreational trolling that defines a troll on Usenet and explains how to create entertaining trolls using many examples. The Subtle Art of Trolling.
- Offers Ngroups www
Offers accounts for individuals including metered, Ngroups, pay as you go (non recurring) and unlimited plans. Also accepts payments via Paypal (which excludes adult groups) for those who don't want to pay using a credit card. [Highwinds Media Reseller] Ngroups.
- Block Octanews www
Block and speed capped plans for individuals. Octanews. Accepts payments via money order or cashiers check in addition to credit cards and offers free headers and free SSL encryption with all accounts. Octanews.
- Explains pl.* www
- South sbay.* www
South Bay (San Jose and nearby areas, sbay.*.
- Alexa: Usenet Computers
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Usenet Computers
- DMOZ: Usenet Computers
dmoz.org Directory: Usenet Computers