Usenet, or Netnews, is a world-wide distributed discussion system. Traditional access to newsgroups, or discussion fora, requires newsreader software and access to a newsserver. Many ISPs provide access to a newsserver as part of their service package. Sites in this section allow you to access the discussion fora, or newsgroups, through a web browser, without accessing a newsserver via newsreader software utilizing NNTP protocol. Sites in this section allow free access to Usenet newsgroups, unless otherwise noted. Web Based Usenet Computers.
- Wikipedia: In computing, a web application or web app is a client?server computer program in which the client runs in a web browser. Common web applications include webmail, online retail sales, online auctions, wikis, instant messaging services and many other functions.
- Software as a service (SaaS) - Software as a service is a software licensing and delivery model in which software is licensed on a subscription basis and is centrally hosted. It is sometimes referred to as "on-demand software", and was formerly referred to as "software plus services" by Microsoft.
- Web 2.0 - Web 2.0 refers to World Wide Web websites that emphasize user-generated content, usability, and interoperability for end users. The term was popularized by Tim O'Reilly and Dale Dougherty at the O'Reilly Media Web 2.0 Conference in late 2004, though it was coined by Darcy DiNucci in 1999.
- Web Engineering - Web engineering focuses on the methodologies, techniques, and tools that are the foundation of Web application development and which support their design, development, evolution, and evaluation.
- Web service s
- Web Science s
- Web widget - In computing, a web widget is a software widget for the web. It's a small application with limited functionality that can be installed and executed within a web page by an end user.
- Web development
- User interface techniques
- Software architecture
- Web applications
- Archives 1-script.com: Web Developer's Archive www
Archives messages in the Usenet groups that are relevant to web development, Web Developer's Archive, design and programming. 1-script.com: Web Developer's Archive.
- Read-only Usenet Replayer Wap Gateway www
Read-only access to Usenet via a Wap enabled mobile phone or a Wap emulator such as wmlbrowser add-on for Firefox. Replayer Wap Gateway. A usual web browser like Internet Explorer won't work. The Wap (Wireless Access Protocol) is also known as Mobile Web in North America. Usenet Replayer Wap Gateway.
- A Usenet.com.au www
A free service that archives popular Australian newsgroups. Usenet.com.au. Also includes a section on Usenet terms and netiquette and a truncated URL service. Usenet.com.au.
- Free Adras www
Free read-only access to newsgroups focusing on information technology topics. Adras.
- Provides PictureView www
Provides Web-based access to binary newsgroups including pictures and videos. PictureView. A free demo is available. PictureView.
- Search MarkMail www
Search engine looking to hundreds of groups and allowing research by keywords, MarkMail, username, email or domain name. MarkMail.
- Read-only Mailarchive.ca www
Read-only access to a collection of newsgroups, Mailarchive.ca, some of them being archived since 2001. Mailarchive.ca.
- Real-time Derkeiler.com: Usenet Source www
Real-time updated, Usenet Source, read-only archive of newsgroups. Allows to save posts in PDF format. Derkeiler.com: Usenet Source.
- Newsgroup NewsKabob www
Newsgroup plugin for webmasters, NewsKabob, serves as a web-Usenet gateway. Can be used as a service with no additional hardware or bandwidth requirements. Monthly pricing depends on the number of allowed users. NewsKabob.
- Free Recgroups www
Free community-oriented site focusing on select rec. Recgroups.* and alt.* newsgroups. Posting requires free registration. Recgroups.
- Free Low Price www
Free access to newsgroups in the ott. Price.* hierarchy (Ottawa, Canada). Low Price.
- Free Microsoft Newsgroups www
Free access to many newsgroups focused on Microsoft and their products. Newsgroups. Requires Internet Explorer. Microsoft Newsgroups.
- Usenet XLned www
Usenet provider based in The Netherlands. XLned. Provides unmetered usenet access. SSL and headers included for free. XLned.
- Based Usenet.SE www
Based in Europe, Usenet.SE, offers metered and unlimited accounts. Usenet.SE.
- Richard NewsBreaks: Google Seeks to Restore Deja Functionality www
Richard W. Google Seeks to Restore Deja Functionality. Wiggins' article: "Since the February acquisition, Google has restored some of the lost searching functionality, and the company also says that by mid-May users of the Google Usenet index will have the ability to post new messages." NewsBreaks: Google Seeks to Restore Deja Functionality.
- Finally, Panida: Google Groups Opens Up for Posting Usenet Messages www
Finally, Google Groups Opens Up for Posting Usenet Messages, you can post Usenet messages at Google. Panida: Google Groups Opens Up for Posting Usenet Messages.
- List Permanently Updated List of Interesting News Servers www
List of public servers maintained by Henning Weede, Updated List of Interesting News Servers, moderator in the German de.* hierarchy. Permanently Updated List of Interesting News Servers.
- A Links and FAQ about Open Nntp Servers www
A document covering various aspects of open news servers, and FAQ about Open Nntp Servers, including a list of available ones. Maintained by Sebastien Willemijns. Links and FAQ about Open Nntp Servers.
- Lists Finding the Appropriate Newsgroup www
Lists of groups listed according to where to post common kinds of posts, the Appropriate Newsgroup, where to read about common topics, and so on. Finding the Appropriate Newsgroup.
- Presents Beginner's Guide to Newsgroup Newsreaders www
Presents newsgroups and newsreaders with a particular focus on binary newsgroups. Beginner's Guide to Newsgroup Newsreaders.
- Alexa: Web Based Usenet
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Web Based Usenet
- DMOZ: Web Based Usenet
dmoz.org Directory: Web Based Usenet