Usenet, or Netnews, is a world-wide distributed discussion system. Traditional access to newsgroups, or discussion fora, requires newsreader software and access to a newsserver. Many ISPs provide access to a newsserver as part of their service package. Sites in this section allow you to access the discussion fora, or newsgroups, through a web browser, without accessing a newsserver via newsreader software utilizing NNTP protocol. Sites in this section allow free access to Usenet newsgroups, unless otherwise noted. Web Based Usenet Computers.
- Wikipedia: In computing, a web application or web app is a client?server computer program in which the client runs in a web browser. Common web applications include webmail, online retail sales, online auctions, wikis, instant messaging services and many other functions.
- Software as a service (SaaS) - Software as a service is a software licensing and delivery model in which software is licensed on a subscription basis and is centrally hosted. It is sometimes referred to as "on-demand software", and was formerly referred to as "software plus services" by Microsoft.
- Web 2.0 - Web 2.0 refers to World Wide Web websites that emphasize user-generated content, usability, and interoperability for end users. The term was popularized by Tim O'Reilly and Dale Dougherty at the O'Reilly Media Web 2.0 Conference in late 2004, though it was coined by Darcy DiNucci in 1999.
- Web Engineering - Web engineering focuses on the methodologies, techniques, and tools that are the foundation of Web application development and which support their design, development, evolution, and evaluation.
- Web service s
- Web Science s
- Web widget - In computing, a web widget is a software widget for the web. It's a small application with limited functionality that can be installed and executed within a web page by an end user.
- Web development
- User interface techniques
- Software architecture
- Web applications
- Free Recgroups www
Free community-oriented site focusing on select rec. Recgroups.* and alt.* newsgroups. Posting requires free registration. Recgroups.
- Real-time Derkeiler.com: Usenet Source www
Real-time updated, Usenet Source, read-only archive of newsgroups. Allows to save posts in PDF format. Derkeiler.com: Usenet Source.
- A Usenet.com.au www
A free service that archives popular Australian newsgroups. Usenet.com.au. Also includes a section on Usenet terms and netiquette and a truncated URL service. Usenet.com.au.
- Newsgroup NewsKabob www
Newsgroup plugin for webmasters, NewsKabob, serves as a web-Usenet gateway. Can be used as a service with no additional hardware or bandwidth requirements. Monthly pricing depends on the number of allowed users. NewsKabob.
- Free Adras www
Free read-only access to newsgroups focusing on information technology topics. Adras.
- Archives 1-script.com: Web Developer's Archive www
Archives messages in the Usenet groups that are relevant to web development, Web Developer's Archive, design and programming. 1-script.com: Web Developer's Archive.
- Provides PictureView www
Provides Web-based access to binary newsgroups including pictures and videos. PictureView. A free demo is available. PictureView.
- Search MarkMail www
Search engine looking to hundreds of groups and allowing research by keywords, MarkMail, username, email or domain name. MarkMail.
- Read-only Usenet Replayer Wap Gateway www
Read-only access to Usenet via a Wap enabled mobile phone or a Wap emulator such as wmlbrowser add-on for Firefox. Replayer Wap Gateway. A usual web browser like Internet Explorer won't work. The Wap (Wireless Access Protocol) is also known as Mobile Web in North America. Usenet Replayer Wap Gateway.
- Read-only Mailarchive.ca www
Read-only access to a collection of newsgroups, Mailarchive.ca, some of them being archived since 2001. Mailarchive.ca.
- Free Low Price www
Free access to newsgroups in the ott. Price.* hierarchy (Ottawa, Canada). Low Price.
- Free Microsoft Newsgroups www
Free access to many newsgroups focused on Microsoft and their products. Newsgroups. Requires Internet Explorer. Microsoft Newsgroups.
- Personal Newsdemon www
Personal newsgroup accounts with servers in the USA and Europe. Newsdemon. SSL encryption is available as an option, headers are not included in the download quota. Newsdemon.
- Metered Alt Binaries www
Metered accounts for individuals, Binaries, with a focus on alt binaries newsgroups. The SSL encryption is provided at no extra cost with all accounts. Alt Binaries.
- Enables Google Groups www
Enables users to search and browse the Usenet archives which consist of over 700 million messages, Groups, and post new comments. Google Groups.
- Google, The Write News: Google Provides Access to Full Usenet Archives www
Google, Write News: Google Provides Access to Full Usenet Archives, a provider of search technology, announced that it has integrated the full Usenet archive formerly maintained by Deja.com with recent posts to provide complete access to Usenet data since 1995. The Write News: Google Provides Access to Full Usenet Archives.
- A Aioe.org Public News server www
A public news server which allows the users to post 25 messages per day from every IP without authentication. Public News server. This is a text only server. Aioe.org Public News server.
- Provides Datemas Internet News Server www
Provides free access to text newsgroups only. Internet News Server. Registration required. Datemas Internet News Server.
- Explains User's Guide to the Changing Usenet www
Explains how RFDs (Requests For Discussion) and CFVs (Call For Votes) can be used to change a Usenet newsgroup. Guide to the Changing Usenet. Gives tips on how to stay abreast of changes in newsgroups and how to be an active participant. User's Guide to the Changing Usenet.
- Timo Links to Professor Timo Salmi's FAQ Material www
Timo Salmi has advice on how to participate effectively in Usenet. Professor Timo Salmi's FAQ Material. Topics include: Proper quoting, proper signatures, how to respond to "crackpots", where to put test postings and other important topics. Links to Professor Timo Salmi's FAQ Material.
- Alexa: Web Based Usenet
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Web Based Usenet
- DMOZ: Web Based Usenet
dmoz.org Directory: Web Based Usenet